The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have another question to ask in regards to the minimum case size.

For the 270 Win, the case size trim to length is 2.530 from the books I have. However, several pieces of factory fired once brass, even after full length re-sizing, are way too short before even trimming. Several cases are 2.519 which is quite a bit shorter than the minimum trim to length guidelines.

Are these cases OK to use? These came from factory Remington ammo, fired once and then went through the re-sizing die. When I measured to see which cases needed trimming I found several already too short!

I know using cases too long can cause issues, but what about under-sized cases??

Thanks for your help! :)

Tim

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Your shorter cases really aren't that bad. Case head seperation isn't going to be an issue. I also only FL size my brass one time then I set my FL die to only neck size my cases. No need over working your brass if it's already fire formed to your chamber.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
2hotford:

If you don't crimp then the length of the case below maximum is not all that important. For Max accuracy the neck tension should be all the same from cartridge to cartridge. When some are short and others long the neck tension might be somewhat different and effect accuracy. How much the effect will be I do not know but theoretically consistency in reloading is one of the keys to max accuracy.

slayer:

You can not go forever without Full Length sizing between reloads. The cases eventually loose their ability to completely spring back from hard contact inside the chamber during ignition. The next reload may cause the bolt to be hard to close or in a semi-auto gun cause a failure to fire because the bolt failed to fully close or a failure to extract. So... Don't discard the FL sizer as you will eventually need it if the cases don't split the necks or burn through the necks or get near a case head separation before the bolt becomes hard closing. If the hard bolt closure eventually comes to pass then just hope it is not on a hunting trip when you need the gun and a the cartridges to work flawlessly.

LDBennett

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
slayer:

You can not go forever without Full Length sizing between reloads. The cases eventually loose their ability to completely spring back from hard contact inside the chamber during ignition. The next reload may cause the bolt to be hard to close or in a semi-auto gun cause a failure to fire because the bolt failed to fully close or a failure to extract. So... Don't discard the FL sizer as you will eventually need it if the cases don't split the necks or burn through the necks or get near a case head separation before the bolt becomes hard closing. If the hard bolt closure eventually comes to pass then just hope it is not on a hunting trip when you need the gun and a the cartridges to work flawlessly.

LDBennett
Perhaps You misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say I threw my FL sizer in the trash. What I said was I USE my FL sizer to neck size. I set my die to not bump the shoulder back. I also measure a fire formed case and continue to measure throughout until they need trimmed or ran all the way into my FL sizer. I personally only shoot bolt guns, except for my handguns.

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
The short answer is, your brass is good to use. It will stretch over time.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
slayer:

Sorry, I editorialize a bit. I knew you would not throw away you FL die!

In fact, I treat my bolt gun cartridges the same as you. I attempted to stress to others, not in the know, that a neck size only die may not be enough and I said why.

I apologize for using your post as an education for others. Sometimes it is the only way to open the door to more information.

LDBennett

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the info!! I wondered if the cases were ok to use... Very good point about the undersized cases affecting accuracy! I will have to try them and find out.

I only started reloading several months back and I will say, I never realized how such tiny minuscule differences affect accuracy so much!! Wow!

Thanks again! Your help and this site have been extremely helpful!! :)

Tim

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
segregate your short brass. if you roll crimp, do your regular trimmed brass that way.

you could use the shorts as test loads and probably after a couple fireings they will have grown plenty to trim to.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
slayer:

Sorry, I editorialize a bit. I knew you would not throw away you FL die!

In fact, I treat my bolt gun cartridges the same as you. I attempted to stress to others, not in the know, that a neck size only die may not be enough and I said why.

I apologize for using your post as an education for others. Sometimes it is the only way to open the door to more information.

LDBennett
No need to apologize. I totally agree on opening the door for more info. I've seen some pretty horrible advice given on some forums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts