Case split-6.5X54MS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Shootnfan
    (3/11/02 11:29:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Case split-6.5X54MS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question for those more experienced than me. I have a sporterized Greek Mannlicher rifle in 6.5X54 MS. The gun appears in good condition. My father (who gave it to me) has fired some Norma 6.5X52 Carcano in it in the past. I examined the cases and they looked fine (fireformed to the 6.5X54 brass I have). A friend gave me a box of 6.5X54MS ammo that was from DKT with 160 RN and Midway brass. I fired this gun yesterday for the first time ever. I loaded the DKT round and when ejected it has a 1/8 " split in the side of the case about 1/8 " up from the rim. I stopped there until I could investigate. Is it a rifle problem or a cartridge problem or both? I want to reload for this rifle but don't want to waste money or endanger lives! Thanks for any and all advise.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/11/02 12:26:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Case split-6.5X54MS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a headspace problem. But if you reload you can overcome that problem by neck sizing only. Start by fireforming with blank loads then neck size only.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Shootnfan
    (3/11/02 1:57:48 pm)
    Thanks for the advise....what do you use in place of bullets to fireform? I assume you use a light powder charge. Thanks again!

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/11/02 2:40:22 pm)
    when I was fireforming 223 cases to 7tcu I used 6 grains of unique with cornmeal on top of it. with a wadded up piece of paper towel to keep the corn meal in.
    With a larger case you might want to try 10 grains of unique or other pistol powder with corn meal or somethimg simuler on top of it with a piece of paper towel wadded up to hold it in.
    single load making sure the case is under the extractor. If you use corn meal it will smell sort of good but be sure you CLEAN THE WEAPON very good.
    Do let me know how it works.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 3/18/02 12:03:39 am