The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,996 Posts
That’s the one I have, well mine’s a “bit” older and I think it does a fine job. Good trade.

·
Super Moderator
29,643 Posts
How broken was the Marlin?

I have the same trimmer, works great.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
How broken was the Marlin?

I have the same trimmer, works great.
I'd have to know what was wrong with the Marlin before I know whether it was a good deal or not.
Yeah that's what i'd like to know. A working Marlin 336c could be worth about 800 to $900.00. So it would have to be pretty broken to make it a even trade.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
as others mentioned.. it's a good trimmer. I have one and the new motorized one with the adjustable jaws and no shell plates.

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Rifle is locked up, Lever is locked half cocked won't open or close. any further. Can't afford the price of repair quoted by the nearest gun smith. I traded it back to the guy I bought it from, I still have my Model 94

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Does it have a scope rail? I've seen those have mount screws which drag on the bolt, displace metal then lock up..especially a lever action.

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No scope mounts , just the Factory sights.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Super Moderator
43,508 Posts
The Rifle is locked up, Lever is locked half cocked won't open or close. any further. Can't afford the price of repair quoted by the nearest gun smith. I traded it back to the guy I bought it from, I still have my Model 94
Goofy is just a few days away by mail!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DOH brain fart on my part there. It is too late now.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Probably the lifter/carrier is messing up. I just bought a marlin '94 and the 336 are both really easy to work on. Take out 4 or 5 screws and the gun is apart. Lots of videos out there on disassembly.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
If YOU are happy with the trade - good for you! I had one of those RCBS trimmers for a while and didn't really like it. I ended up giving it away and bought a Lyman case trimmer with the universal heads. Works great.

The one thing I didn't like about the Marlin 336 I "inherited" was the pistol grip stock. I ended up converting mine to a straight grip/lever and a new Boyd's stock set. Love it now. The coyotes don't like it much, but I do.

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably the lifter/carrier is messing up. I just bought a '94 and the 336 are both really easy to work on. Take out 4 or 5 screws and the gun is apart. Lots of videos out there on disassembly.
Like I said it is a done deal. I have my Model '94 that I am more than happy with. I needed a case trimmer of my own, I have about 300 30-06 cases that need to be trimmed. I will be spending time at my reloading bench later today/this evening.

·
Premium Member
20,032 Posts
Like I said it is a done deal. I have my Model '94 that I am more than happy with. I needed a case trimmer of my own, I have about 300 30-06 cases that need to be trimmed. I will be spending time at my reloading bench later today/this evening.
No problem Jay. Glad you are happy with your new trimmer. Everybody needs a case trimmer. Mine is similar to yours, but the end when your clamp down handle is i have a collect type lock down. Think it is a earlier RCBS model.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts