The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good case trimmer for .357.
I need on that can be adjusted.

I have Lyman Universal trimmer and the lengths are all over the place.
I tried the Lee case trimmer and it trims short with no adjustment

Does anyone have any ideas about a decent brass trimmer?

Thank you,
Dale

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
Are your cases stretching? 357 usually don’t grow too much.
I use the Lee Quick Trim system for what I load but I don’t think I’ve had to trim the 357.

·
GUNZILLA
6,208 Posts
Are your cases stretching? 357 usually don’t grow too much.
I was thinking the same thing, maybe he is crimping too much. I've reloaded my brass several times already without having to trim.

Anyway I use a Lyman trimmer and bought an attachment to use with my drill.

·
Premium Member
11,681 Posts
If you can't get consistent lengths with a Lyman trimmer, unless you bought the cheapy, it isn't the trimmer, it's the operator. I've been using a Lyman trimmer for over 40 years and the only time I EVER had any difficulties it was me, pushing too hard on the crank. File trim dies are great but, obviously they aren't adjustable.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I've been using the Lyman case trimmer for years. I use one case that I keep in the reloading die box and use it as as 'Master' to set up the trim length. That keeps my case lengths the same every time.

Some calibers don't seem to require trimming even after a few loadings - but all of my 'new-to-me' cases get trimmed. Some may think this is a waste of time, but I enjoy reloading so it isn't a chore at all to me.

If I'm going to trim a very large batch of brass I use the Lee case trimmer and a small bench top drill press. That Lyman trimmer is accurate, but that little crank can be a PITA on the pinkies if trimming more than 50 cases in one batch. I even use the Lee trimmer if I'm just doing a few cases and don't want to take the time to set up the Lyman trimmer.

·
Premium Member
11,681 Posts
After those "over 40 years" I finally did the same as Manny and bought the battery drill attachment. Sure saves those digits and your palm, jim.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I am looking for a good case trimmer for .357.
I need on that can be adjusted.

I have Lyman Universal trimmer and the lengths are all over the place.
I tried the Lee case trimmer and it trims short with no adjustment

Does anyone have any ideas about a decent brass trimmer?

Thank you,
Dale
On that Lyman trimmer, once you get it set up for case length, the cases should be exactly the same.

A tip or two for you: Measure your cases and find one that is close to the length you want. Trim it a few cranks and pay attention to the feel and how much brass you are shaving off. Take the case out and measure it to see if THAT is the length you want. Make sure the locking rings are firmly locked on the trimmer, and also make sure that the space between the crank and the trimmer is clean with no debris (if there is any brass "dust" there your trimmer will not equally trim to the same length every time.)

Keep your trimmer clean and lubricate the trimmer shaft with gun oil or '3 In 1 oil'. Just enough to lubricate it - too much will collect dust and brass shavings.

Again - trim one case and keep it as a 'Master' to set up for the next time (unless you ONLY trim one caliber).

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
After those "over 40 years" I finally did the same as Manny and bought the battery drill attachment. Sure saves those digits and your palm, jim.
Shaprs - off the subject - but I was back in your area a couple days ago. My brother is in bad shape so I drove my niece back for a last visit. He lives just south of Dixon. Man-oh-man! Those Missouri roads are white knuckle makers!!! They are narrow with deep ditches on both sides AND folks back there drive like maniacs.

I took my '88 Vette and it hugs the road well, but with the rain, wildlife on the roads, narrow pavement and crazies I felt like an old lady. Pulled over many times to let people pass. Doing the speed limit is way too slow. I'm surprised there aren't many more head-on collisions back there. I was glad to get back to Colorado where we have at least some room on the road to avoid each other.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Back to brass trimming - I tend to agree with the "Tell me why you are trimming .357" crowd. You really really don't need to trim handgun brass, it just doesn't stretch.
You are right, George - straight wall pistol cases don't stretch like bottle neck cases. Thing is that there can be variations in case lengths from manufacturers and even case lots. Not that cases must be trimmed after shooting as frequently, but there are times when it is a good idea to check them and make them all the same. Just my opinion and what I do.

·
Super Moderator
39,095 Posts
Whatever the case is, the OP really needs to learn to trim properly or leave them alone. He seems to have more problems with .357 brass and it is my humble opinion the if he just left them alone to start with, he wouldn't have to be giving away 250 pieces of brass that he trimmed incorrectly.

To OP, if you are going to trim the stuff, you should buy a LEE case trimmer and not have to worry about adjusting anything.

·
Registered
17,670 Posts
I'm with the others.. I don't trim pistol brass too much. Can't remember the last time I trimmed ANY revolver brass.. and I have brass that the finish is worn thru and the case head is getting hard to read.. and It's still the right length.

As for the lyman trimmer not making the same trim.. check your setup and lock rings.

I use 2 rcbs trimmer.. the trim pro and a trim pro 2 that is basically the same with a universal jaw instead of a shell plate, and has an electric motor. prior to the trim 2, I did as the others said and use a drill, but after getting the trim 2, I set the old trimmer back up to hand crank to make 1 off's and test runs.

Also ditto what the others said about getting a test piece of brass. I have an ammo box setting by my trimmers. it has a trimmed piece of brass of everything I trim for, and I use it to setup my trimmer each time.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
George - we sound a little grumpy today, my old friend. I can help the OP with those cases if he trimmed them a tad on the short side. Those .357s also make dandy .38 S&W Specials with a little more trimming... But I doubt that he went THAT far. A thousandths or two under "trim to length" won't hurt him at all.

·
Registered
17,670 Posts
I have cut 357 down to make 38 +p when i had no headstamped +p brass. I just knew that any 357 I had that fit a 38spl chamber were the ones I loaded +p.

I now have a good ziplock bag of 38+p brass.. so It's not an issue.

On lead target laods and range fodder.. a slightly short case won't be any big deal except setting up roll crimp.. etc..

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Not much to add. I use a Hornady case trimmer that will work with a hand-held drill. Never had a problem that wasn't operator error (also don't worry about a thousandth or two variation). Have also used file trim dies, which of course are not adjustable. Also can't remember when a straight walled case needed trimming (do check every few firings). My two cents. 😊

·
Premium Member
11,681 Posts
Back to brass trimming - I tend to agree with the "Tell me why you are trimming .357" crowd. You really really don't need to trim handgun brass, it just doesn't stretch.
I have not found this to be true in my handgun shooting and loading. While some do not stretch as much as others it's been my experience that they all do eventually. Oddly, the pressure level of the load doesn't seem to have much influence. My 45 Colt, Winchester cases seem to be the worst about stretching with 32-20 coming in second. I notice it as the roll crimp becomes uneven. When that happens accuracy goes out the window. I tried taper crimping with the two cartridges mentioned. The crimp was still not even around the driving band and accuracy still suffered. Trimming the cases gave an even roll crimp and accuracy returned.

Jim, where your brother lives, I assume Pulaski County, yes sir, the state lettered highways are crooked and they are narrow, without shoulders and usually no guard rail and, if there is, it ain't much. Where we lived in Wyoming when you got up in the mountains of Wyoming or Idaho it was the same....and those drops were a LOT farther down!!!

Those state lettered roads began life as "farm to market" roads I guess back in the 20's. In the Ozarks they usually follow the ridge and snake around like.....a snake. Needless to say they aren't like Kansas and eastern Colorado. Had a cousin from western Kansas and he wasn't very comfortable when he hit the Ozarks. You're right about the drivers. They like to take their half out of the middle when they're on the outside of the curve. I've had more than one Missouri Highway patrolman just about take me off the road on a curve. 'Course you're reacting and trying to stay out of the ditch and I have never got his badge number off the license plate. When I have the inside of a curve I put my inside tire on the white line and pray. That isn't just Missouri however. I've experienced it anywhere in the US you're on narrow, crooked roads....and often not so narrow or crooked!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,239 Posts
George - we sound a little grumpy today, my old friend. I can help the OP with those cases if he trimmed them a tad on the short side. Those .357s also make dandy .38 S&W Specials with a little more trimming... But I doubt that he went THAT far. A thousandths or two under "trim to length" won't hurt him at all.
He put them up in the "Buy, Sell and Trade" forum. I don't know if he still has them or not.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have and use a Lyman Universal trimmer and have for quite some time. If it is setup properly, it will trim hundreds of cases withing .002 of each other. The trick is in the pressure you use. Consistency is key as is in all things reloading.

Sounds like you need to learn how to use the tools that you have instead of buying more that you will have the same trouble with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts