The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
TFF Chaplain
19,266 Posts
When I was getting started, I got the Lee trimming systems for each of the calibers I reload. I've used the trimmers for the .223 and .243 bottleneck cases. They do a good job. I have never used the trimmer for my .357 straight wall cases.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
17,670 Posts
.32-20 is a bottleneck cartridge.. In my experience, almost all bottlenecks grow. It's the low pressure straightwall stuff that I rarely have to mess with trimming.

·
Premium Member
11,681 Posts
Well, I can guarantee that after the 2nd loading my 45 Colt cases will grow on one side, that side which is not supported by the cylinder and, not just in one revolver, all of them I've ever had; Colt clone's, my 3rd Gen. Colt, my Freedom Arms, the Ruger Blackhawk I had and the S&W 25-5 I had. My load for decades was the classic 8 grs. of Unique under the RCBS, 255 gr. KTSWC so it wasn't hot. That unsupported side will be longer and you don't need a caliper to see it. You cannot roll crimp it straight and taper crimping makes no difference. Consequently accuracy suffers. I don't remember seeing that with 357's and I haven't fooled with the 38 Spl. enough to have an opinion. I haven't noticed it as much with the 44-40 as with the 45 and the 44-40 is a sort of bottleneck case but, it is thicker than the 32-20. You only have to trim them if you want to hit what you're aiming at.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I like and use the L.E. Wilson trimmer. Micrometer length setting and 100% concentric. Should outlive me and will make for an interesting tool in the Antique Store. I can see it now young children asking about how worked with not motor, while the Dad is trying to explain that many years ago it was used to trim things, without understanding what he is looking at.

Larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
First of all, I trim my .357 so I can load a bullet where I want it in the case.
Second, I trim my .357 so the crmip I use comes out as I like it without over or under crimping.

Third, The problem I was having is not understanding just what I was doing.
That problem has been solved.

Thank you for the replies,
Dale

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was thinking about trying a Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finnest Trimmer (for a different caliber). Not sure how good they are yet though.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I like and use the L.E. Wilson trimmer. Micrometer length setting and 100% concentric. Should outlive me and will make for an interesting tool in the Antique Store. I can see it now young children asking about how worked with not motor, while the Dad is trying to explain that many years ago it was used to trim things, without understanding what he is looking at.

Larry
That's what I have too. But I've never trimmed any pistol cases with it yet.

·
Super Moderator
39,095 Posts
I was thinking about trying a Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finnest Trimmer (for a different caliber). Not sure how good they are yet though.
They are the best and easiest trimmer that I have ever used. I have one for .223 and one for .308. They are not cheap and you need a new trimmer for each cartridge that you trim, or at least you did when I bought mine. You still have to make that first adjustment but when you get it set, all is good forever.

One of the things I like about them is that if you neck size only some of your cases, as I do, you can send your trimmer and a couple of pieces of your sized brass to them and they will adjust the trimmer to work with the neck sized brass. I found out when my neck sized brass would not "fit" in the trimmer. I called them to see if they could tell me what to do to make it fit and they told me to send them the trimer and three pieces of brass.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This was me until the 460S&W came into the picture. Trimming and annealing are now required.
Back to brass trimming - I tend to agree with the "Tell me why you are trimming .357" crowd. You really really don't need to trim handgun brass, it just doesn't stretch.
I'm with the others.. I don't trim pistol brass too much. Can't remember the last time I trimmed ANY revolver brass.. and I have brass that the finish is worn thru and the case head is getting hard to read.. and It's still the right length.

The Lee trimmer with the case gauge just didn't "cut it", so now the RCBS case trimmer handles all my trimming needs with great satisfaction.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts