Case Trimmer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mrsailfish, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Mrsailfish

Mrsailfish New Member

I am new to reloading and was wondering if a case trimmer was neccessary to have ?
    Thanks IN advance

Mr Sailfish

2. dickshuford

dickshuford New Member

If you are going to do much reloading you will definitely need a trimmer. Be sure to check case length everytime

3. army mp

army mp Member

If you are going to load only straight wall handgun, not so much, as long as you stay with mid-range loads. There are guys on here that never trim handgun. Bottleneck and Rifle cases are a whole different animal. They should be checked every time after sizing. Lee makes a trimmer I hear guy say is good for the money, I use an RCBS case trimmer.

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, some sort of trimming setup will be needed. If you're reloading straight-sided cases like most pistol cartridges, you'll probably find that they need trimming less frequently than bottleneck rifle cartridges.

It's a good practice to check the length with each loading and trim them when the length reaches the max length listed in your reloading manual. A general rule of thumb is that the trim-to length will be 0.010" shorter than the max length, but if your manual says otherwise then heed that measurement.

If you're just reloading a few different cartridges, you might want to check out the Lee handheld case trimmer system. This uses a cutter with interchangable "pilots" for each specific cartridge and a shellholder system that you can either use by hand or by chucking it into a drill or electric screwdriver. It's a fairly cheap way to get set up to trim one, two, three calibers.
    http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/casecon.html
    But if you're thinking that you'll wind up reloading for many different cartridges, then you might want to check into one of those lathe-style case trimmers.
    Both systems work just fine. My preference is for the Lee trimmers but I use a Hornady lathe-type trimmer too.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=315831
    http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0002961.shtml

Just don't bother with that Lee Zip-Trim trimmer system that has a pullcord to spin the cases. I haven't heard of anyone that has tried it actually liking it. But I suppose there must be some folks buying it otherwise it probably would've been discontinued by now.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If not right from the start, absolutely soon there after.

6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

+1 to army mp. I have reloaded for 30+ years. I have never trimmed handgun brass. I've never found the need.

I always trim rifle calibers (even straight wall .45/70's) after a few shots. Rifle calibers won't chamber if you don't trim every few reloadings.

7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

A cheap but effective trimmer is the Lee Zip Trim, i've heard of a few people having issues with them, but I can tell you that its most likely operator error. They do a fantastic job and really leave a nicely trimmed and chamfered case with the 3 way die. Easy on the budget and very effective.

8. techoca

techoca New Member

Absolutely agree with Woolleyworm-the Lee Zip trim works great and saves time. I use mine with the 3 jaw chuck. I would easily spend that money again. I trim 300 to 500 .45 ACP at one time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. army mp

army mp Member

you will also need a Deburrint tool.