Case Tumbler

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jerry45, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jerry45

jerry45 New Member

Who makes a good case tumbler? Don't say Dillon as I got a piece of junk from them. They tend to have good service but not this time around. Purchased the smaller CV-500 almost 2 years ago when I was starting up and acquiring all of the necessities. Did not use the tumbler the first year (thus out of warranty and my error). Motor burned out during the first 6 weeks of usage. Dillon now says they no longer make that model so no replacement motors are available (I was willing to buy a replacement motor). They basically said "sorry, too bad"!

Who makes a good quality machine that does a good job? Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Hornady?

Thanks for your help.

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Lyman has a very good line of tumblers (vibrating). I used one for about 25 years and for some reason the thing just wouldn't vibrate anymore, the motor still ran fine just wouldn't vibrate. Some plastic thing fell out of the motor area and I couldn't figure out where it fit in?? Anyway, I bought another one about 2 years ago to replace that one,

They are named something like the Turbo 600 and Turbo 1200 (I think, I'm not going to walk out to my reloading building to look). But, that is what I would recommend.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009

3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i have had a lymann turbo 1200 for many years. good machine.

4. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I have a franklin, and havn't had it but 3 months, but seems very good and ony around 40$

5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

I just purchased a Vibratory Tumbler from Harbor Freight that was on sales for under $ 50. I believe that the brand was something like Chicago Electric. This of course would be Chicago, China.....not to be confused with Chicago, Illinois. I've only had it a couple of weeks but have run it through at least 6 X 4 hour cycles and it has worked flawlessly.

The local gun shop had a Lyman but it was $ 200+ . That seems pretty steep to me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

cabelas has a good one. i got the tumbler, 3 lbs. of media, case polish, and a sifter for 56 bucks from them. It has tumbled more than 20,000 pieces of brass and is still going strong...

7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

Buy a Lyman. I've used mine for 15+ years without a problem.

8. 312shooter

312shooter Well-Known Member

Got to go with the lyman autoflow. The ability to nicely seperate the media from the brass is a bonus, it was 65 bucks and came with corncob in the box.

9. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

I have a Ultra-Vibe 18, not cheap but works like a champ, I think buffalo Arms sells them now just checked here's the link http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5831.html I've had mine since 1984, never had any problems with it.

tEN wOLVES :D

10. sewerman

sewerman New Member

i too endorse the lyman tumbler.

i forgot and left mine on for close to 24 hrs and it wasn't even warm.

sewerman

11. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Yes....the Lyman is a good machine......I've had my 1200 since 1992 and I have polished a bunch of brass with it..... just be prepared for the noise.....they are not very quite thats for sure. But does a great job on cleaning up the brass.;)

12. army mp

army mp Member

Lyman for the money you cant beat it, I have had one for years, with no problems. I went out and got a second turbo 1200. So I can do small brass in one and the big stuff in the other.