The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Case XX pocket knife that was my Dads for as long as I can remember and was wondering if anyone could tell me how old it actually is?

The knife it's self has a cracked handle on one side. I'm thinking, this
is the knife that he was carrying when he had his accident and
the knife was broken then. (he was killed on a tractor roll-over)

I wanted to keep the knife as is, so I took some Epoxy and filled in
around the broken handle, and plan to finish filling it in later on as a
second top coat. I was just curious as to how old the knife is?
Apperciate any input!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Still no help Dale but I can just guess how you must feel about that knife. Here is a picture of two knives my dad carried. I purchased both for him. The Ka Bar I gave to him in the early '50s and then the Boker in the late 80's because he was afraid the Ka BAr was getting so thin he would break it. The Ka Bar also has an epoxy repair where the bone handle was worn thin and broke. Oh the memories.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Accordin to the Case product guide that knife is made in 2000. That was the first year for the X. blade marks in the second pic. 1 X removed per year from '01 to '05, and . from '06 to '09.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no help Dale but I can just guess how you must feel about that knife. Here is a picture of two knives my dad carried. I purchased both for him. The Ka Bar I gave to him in the early '50s and then the Boker in the late 80's because he was afraid the Ka BAr was getting so thin he would break it. The Ka Bar also has an epoxy repair where the bone handle was worn thin and broke. Oh the memories.
Yes Sir Todd, the memories. I'm happy you have them back.
Things as such mean alot to me. The Case knife laid out in my Dads
work shop for the last several years, just laying. So I thought I'd get it
out and try and patch it up a bit and hang on to it.
Accordin to the Case product guide that knife is made in 2000. That was the first year for the X. blade marks in the second pic. 1 X removed per year from '01 to '05, and . from '06 to '09.
Thanks LoneWolf for the information and interesting as I dont know,
and wish I did, more about Case knives.
I appreciate the information!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I went to their website last year (and others) to have them send me catalogs and that was in one of them. Glad to help.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to look up more of those.
I finished putting the second "layer of epoxy on it just a bit ago.
The epoxy seems to be some good stuff and that's sorta the reason I only put a thin layer on at first. Keep it just the way it is.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thats how I would do it. My daily carry is a Case Sodbuster Jr. that was my grandpa's. I like the case knifes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Zane, guess you've finished now but you can mix just about anything with epoxy to alter the color. A redish brown liquid shoepolish, just a drop mixed with your epoxy would have given you a close match. Hank

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zane, guess you've finished now but you can mix just about anything with epoxy to alter the color. A redish brown liquid shoepolish, just a drop mixed with your epoxy would have given you a close match. Hank
Thanks for the advice Hank as actually, the second (and thought, final layer)
did not take. I didnt mix it accordingly and equal parts, so I peeled it off.
I put the case knife back up and plan to finish it when I "take" the time.

Good advice and much appreciated and will do!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts