I cut a 1/4" thick steel plate to fit over the top of my pot. It keeps lead temp consistent and gives me a place to preheat the mold
if all else fails i would use the lee-ment process. you may need to do it several times to take a little of the crud off at a time. you MAY, end up with a too big bullet. go slow. a sizer can correct a little over size. good luck!
You probably got the aluminum hot enough to take the lead just like when you solder electric wires to a aluminum tab or circuit board connector pod. You will have to desolder it. You will have to heat it up enough for the lead to flow out of the aluminum.I've been casting bullets only a short time and so far it's been going great. Until today. After casting all the .30 cal bullets I needed, I decided to cast a few 9mm bullets with my new mold since I had alloy left in the pot. I cast about 6 to warm up the mold but it needed lots more warming up so I put the sprue plate in the melt for a few seconds. When I went to pull it out I saw that the whole mold had slid down in the melt. It was very hot so I let it cool a little then started casting. That's when I noticed the bullets were not smooth but rough looking.Not wrinkled but looked like there was dirt stuck to them. Then I saw very tiny specks of lead soldered to the inside cavity of the mold and on the face of the mold. I tried scrubbing with a nylon brush and various solvents to no avail. I think I've ruined the mold as I can't see it coming off without scraping it and that will further ruin it. Any ideas or just toss it and spend another $25 for another one?
Yes, it could be slag stuck to it. If it is slag you may have to throw the mold away. It will be very difficult to remove w/o destroying the mold.Contaminates may be the issue. After casting all the .308 bullets I wanted there was lots of alloy still in the pot. Just on a whim I grabbed the new 9mm mold and stuck the sprue plate in the pot to get it hot. Thats when it slid down and the blocks went in too for 10-15sec. When I took it out I immediatelly poured the mold full. I noticed the sprue took probably a full 30sec to harden. Wow it was HOT! That's when the problem arose and I just remembered in my haste to try out the mold I failed to clean it first like I did all the others. That's likely why the lead stuck to it.