The Firearms Forum banner

casting bullets

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  carver 
#1 · (Edited)
casting bullets- now with pics added

I broke out my new 20# Lee Pro pot tonight and had a little fun
I cast 100 , 200 gr 45 ACP bullets in no time.

every time I added more lead to the pot, I would add some candle wax and stir the pot, scraping the sides and bottom.
now, if I added wax and it flashed, did that mean, I added too much?

I kept the temp knob between a 4 and 5 and it seemed to do fine.

The only other issue I had was I walked inside for a few minutes and when I came back the lead in the spout solidified, so I took my micro torch and heated the pour spout for a few seconds and if flowed fine again.

one other question, should you wear nitrile or similar gloves when boxing up and working with the lead bullets?

#2 ·
db, the only time I've used a lead pot was at General Dynamics, for tinning electrical leads before soldering. We used rosin to cause the impurities to clump up and float to the top, which we skimmed off periodically. It also was used to clean oxidation from a joint before the solder was applied.

Wax is a different animal, but still a petroleum compound with enough volatile components to melt easily and flow. If by 'flash' you mean 'burst into flame' I'd have to guess that you have the heat set to a level above the flash point of the wax you're using. My thinking is that the purpose of using wax is to reduce it to carbon using the heat of the lead, then the carbon will shield the lead form oxidation, much as is done when using charcoal when pouring or soldering silver.

If the wax is too hot, it will burn, and all of the carbon will be lost as carbon dioxide in the process. Try lowering the temperature of the melt a bit, or using finely powdered charcoal instead of wax. Or you might read this very good article:

Simple Fluxing
if you haven't already found it. Based on what SixGuns had to say, and the science I've learned over the years, when I start casting my own, I'll be using the walnut shell kitty litter I use for cleaning brass as a start. :)

#3 · (Edited)
the 'experts' say sawdust makes the best flux, and wax is a poor fluxing material for lead

gloves are not necessary, just wash your hands with soap and water when you are done playing with the lead

you did the right thing with your Lee drip-o-matic when the spout froze up, just one thing to think about is to not scrape the bottom of the pot as this can cause the spout to clog up, and wood paint stirring sticks make great molten lead stirrers (they flux as they char)

you may want to invest in a casting thermometer, the Lee dial settings are all over the place as far as being able to consistently predict/replicate casting temps... a PID temp controller is the bees knees for the Lee drop-o-matic and makes casting far more enjoyable and controllable

#4 ·
DB,

Not sure if I can help but I'll give it a shot. I really don't think it's that technical with the wax. I remember casting with my father and he'd take a lighter and light the wax just to keep it from smoking and getting dirty looks from my mother. Seems like he used, now don't quote my spelling, Linotype as an alloy. Don't just use lead unless you're shooting BP. As for the poor spout, just submerge it in the lead and it will clear right up. No need for a torch. And I would use gloves for sure. We just use the leather $2.00 specials and they did fine. Now you've got me itching to cast a few.

Enjoy

#6 ·
db, wax isn't a very good flux if a flux at all, use sawdust or a wooden paint stick. As far as it igniting that's normal when dropped into molten lead. If the lead is molten it isn't possible to turn the temp down enough to not make it ignite.

You can wear gloves if you want. It's more for your piece of mind than anything unless you eat, or smoke while handling lead.

I would'nt worry about getting a thermometer unless that's your cup of tea but like the old feller that taught me how to cast said when I asked him about one. "Do you think George Washington and his boys sat around with thermometers while casting?" You'll get the right temp down, just play with the dial, cast a bit, make mental notes and eventually you'll have it running like a champ. Besides, it's not like you can't throw 'em back in the pot if you mess up ;).

Have fun with it and be safe.

#7 · (Edited)
I've been casting for at least 18 years and have found there is no "best" flux. I've used candles, paraffin, bullet lube, a commercial flux, and sawdust (plus a bunch of other stuff which most didn't work well enough to use consistently). I currently use sawdust because it's free and just on the other side of my shop/reloading room. They all work to some extent, some a little better that others, but your results are what counts. If wax is working for you, then you can continue to use it, but if you're like most casters, you'll experiment to find something more to your liking.

The "flash" is normal for wax fluxing. Most casters will ignite the smoke (match or lighter) to stop the smoking, and the small flame will soon burn out.

The spout freeze is normally from too low temperature of your melt. I like to run my alloy about 100 degrees passed liquid state, around 650-700 degrees F. Mostly I just watch the appearance of my bullets as they drop from my mold; frosty, turn down the heat a bit. Poor fill out, raise the temp.

#9 · (Edited)
if handling lead on a common basis, and smelling fumes casually over long term was enough to kill ya.. I'd be dead. I've been lead soldering for 30 years.

About 2 ys ago i had a health issue and had wondered about heavy metals as I also refinish antique tractors..a nd sure i have ground of many many pounds of lead based paint in my deays.

My HM test came back perfectyl normal...

be safe and smart around it.. but don't have to wear a hazmat suit... wash hands before you eat, touch eyes / mouth.. etc..

#10 · (Edited)
db, wax isn't a very good flux if a flux at all, use sawdust or a wooden paint stick. ...
I have been using a thick yard stick cut to about a foot in length.
it burned at first, then charred. I used it to stir the pot when I added new ingots to the mix. If I'm doing that then that's all I need to do? I noticed I had very little oxidized metal or dross on the top that usually forms a dark crust.

#11 ·
db,

Get a TEL-TRU therometer, model LT225R 5" stem, 200 to 1000 degrees.

Go to TEL-TRU site to order about $21 Plus Shipping.

RE-SELLERS OF THESE "JACK" THE PRICE UP, THE MANUFACTURER WILL SELL TO YOU.

Wear SAFETY EQUIPMENT WHEN CASTING OR SMELTING.

A LEATHER APRON and Welder's Gloves are nice.

STANDING to cast may save YOU AND YOUR LAP from a serious accident some day.

Wear SAFETY GLASSES and a FACE SHIELD.

If the TINSEL FAIRY ever visits you, YOUR EYES/SIGHT WILL APPRECIATE IT.

MOLTEN METAL BURNS TAKE A LONG TIME TO HEAL!

A lot of folks like to hold the melt 100 degrees over the total melt temperature.

Temp. variations can also help you vary the bullet drop size.

The Cast Boolits (correct spelling) web-site is a wealth of reading and KNOWLEDGE.

Casting FOR YEARS OR DECADES does NOT MAKE YOU AN "EXPERT".

IT makes you OLD!

Good Luck casting AND BE SAFE NOT SORRY, your Loved ones will THANK YOU.:)

#12 ·
I have been using a thick yard stick cut to about a foot in length.
it burned at first, then charred. I used it to stir the pot when I added new ingots to the mix. If I'm doing that then that's all I need to do? I noticed I had very little oxidized metal or dross on the top that usually forms a dark crust.
That'll do it. I flux every time I add new ingots to the pot.

#13 ·
I've been casting for at least 18 years and have found there is no "best" flux. I've used candles, paraffin, bullet lube, a commercial flux, and sawdust (plus a bunch of other stuff which most didn't work well enough to use consistently). I currently use sawdust because it's free and just on the other side of my shop/reloading room. They all work to some extent, some a little better that others, but your results are what counts. If wax is working for you, then you can continue to use it, but if you're like most casters, you'll experiment to find something more to your liking.

The "flash" is normal for wax fluxing. Most casters will ignite the smoke (match or lighter) to stop the smoking, and the small flame will soon burn out.

The spout freeze is normally from too low temperature of your melt. I like to run my alloy about 100 degrees passed liquid state, around 650-700 degrees F. Mostly I just watch the appearance of my bullets as they drop from my mold; frosty, turn down the heat a bit. Poor fill out, raise the temp.
i agree,, prefer wax myself,, its cheap and always seem to have some at hand,, and the other info is spot on from my experience also,,, now its your decision to chose which expert to base your decisions on :confused:

#15 ·
I ran another batch of 200 gr 45 ACPs last night.
I used my laser thermometer to make small adjustments to the temp and never had any issue with the spout stopping up. I also took some oak sawdust out of my chop saw catch bag and used that for flux.

I also made some small adjustments to the flow rate out of the spout.

It worked wonderfully. This batch turned out even better than the first one. Casting your own bullets is the perfect complement to hand loading.
I'm really enjoying this: I can just see me casting way more bullets than I have time to shoot:D:eek:

#16 ·
I'm glad it's working out db. It is addictive isn't it? As far as casting way more than you can shoot, well duh :D. I have over 5k boolits sitting around and that's just .45 acp :eek:

It's a very nice complement to handloading. Every time I cast up a batch I tell the wife, "Our founding fathers would be proud of me." Kinda cheesy, but it's a skill that's fading by the wayside.

Now if I could make my own powder without blowing myself up......;)

#17 ·
Oh, we need pics! You know the internet rule, it didn't happen without pics. :D

#18 ·
Yessir db....we need pics !

It takes a little time to get in sync .....mix, temp, timing to drop,etc.
[too hot, too cold, drop from mold early,etc] And drop on a soft surface
like a folded towel unless you water drop.
The more you do it the better you get.
If you make a mistake, put em back in the pot.

#20 ·
i agree,, prefer wax myself,, its cheap and always seem to have some at hand,, and the other info is spot on from my experience also,,, now its your decision to chose which expert to base your decisions on :confused:
Well, I ain't no expert, just stuff I have experience with, and don't mind passing on. Most of my "hints" are just common sense...;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.