Catching Spent Primers - Hornady LnL AP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by PlanoAttorney, Apr 20, 2017.

1. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

How do you catch the spent primers when using a Hornady LnL?

I looked for the answer and could not find it so I figured I would start a new thread and ask. I used up all my new and already de-capped brass so tonight was the first time I used my Hornady LnL to de-prime and size at the same time. I am hoping someone has a solution or suggestion how to catch those little things which went flinging all over the place.

My LnL is on an UltraMount, and I do not have the mount bolted to the table, I use a C-Clamp to hold it in place so that I can slide it out of the way when I need the bench for working on something else. Accordingly, I did not drill a hole or install that plastic tube that came with the press. I have a 2" thick maple top on my bench, I really do not want to drill a hole through it, plus as I already stated, I clamp it down, if I drill a hole I would have to either make it oversize or get my press lined up with the hole every time I want to reload with it . . . ergo, I need a better solution.

My Forrester Co-Ax has a perfect solution, a small jar (about baby food sized) that is on the end of the discharge tube and rises and falls with the stroke. The LnL does not appear to have sufficient clearance to use the same jar. Has anyone tried a similar solution with the LnL and the hole in the jar lid drilled off-center? Did it work? I thought I would ask before I spend time and effort finding a small jar like that. (No babies in the house and I figure I need plastic, not glass anyway.) I am thinking of trying a pill bottle, if I can find one without a "tamper proof lid"

My second thought is to put that plastic tube over the brass discharge tube (can that brass tube be removed? Is it threaded on the top?) and cut the plastic tube lengthwise basically turning it into a chute or slide and try to "redirect" the spent primers into something.

Anyway, the question is directed at those with the Hornady LnL AP presses. Has anyone found a solution for catching spent primers coming out of that brass tube that does NOT involve cutting or drilling a hole in my bench?

Assuming no reasonable solution is available: How many of you de-cap your brass BEFORE you tumble or clean it? I use a sonic (wet) cleaner, so part of me thinks that is the best solution anyway. And for those of you who do de-cap before cleaning your brass, do you use a press or hand device? Suggestions on best way?

2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

3. PlanoAttorney

Thanks 2A-Jay. I saw one of these at Cabela's yesterday and probably should have bought it. I had a Lyman universal de-cap die I used on all my rifle brass to de-capped before cleaning and trimming. Pin breaks every 40-50 rounds so I need a better solution for rifle brass anyway.

I don't shoot a high volume of rifle so de-capping before cleaning is just one small thing to do. However, I have 3000 cases for 9MM, once fired and tumbled but the spent primer is still in place which is the way I acquired them. I also acquired 1000 cases for .45 ACP the same way. Something about sitting there de-capping 4K pieces of brass does not appeal to me. Plus after buying the LnL I started collecting up my own brass and there is a small bucket full of brass I need to clean.

4. Avirginian

Avirginian Member

Well my LNL is mounted to my bench and the ram overhangs the edge. I attached a vinyl tube to the brass one on the press and fed it into a tall plastic container on the shelf below. The tall container allows the tube to move up and down without exiting as I deprime.

Big Mak, yep380 and carver like this.
  5. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

That clear plastic tube is what I used to have on my Lee Press before I started hand depriming. It worked well most of the time, though occasionally a primer or two would bounce out of the built in funnel and end up on the floor.

carver likes this.
  6. noylj

noylj Active Member

Mine came with vinyl tubes to connect. If yours doesn't have the brass spent primer tube (part 36 in parts list) or the vinyl tube, call Hornady. I put a band clamp around the vinyl tube on the spent primer tube to keep it on.
    You run the vinyl tube into a waste basket or can or whatever. Never had primer NOT go down the tube (see RCBS RockChucker to REAL depriming problems).

carver likes this.
  7. Carrier

Carrier Member

Yup same as me works like a champ.

carver likes this.
  8. Carrier

Carrier Member

I'm a little confused with what your issue is. If you want to remove the brass spent primer tube then insert the largest size drill bit that will fit into bottom of brass tube then take a pair of vise grips and clamp over the pipe where the bit is and give a couple of turns back and forth while pulling down.
    Are you saying with the mount that the tube is hitting the bench? Like I said not sure what the issue is a picture would help.
    The plastic hose is suppose to go on the end of the brass tube.

carver likes this.
  9. PlanoAttorney

Mine came with the plastic tube however I have the press on an UltraMount. The press is not bolted to the front of my bench and there is no place for the vinyl tube to go. I could put about 3 inches of tubing on but that would not cure my problem. When the primers come out and fall thru the brass tubing, I need something on the end of that brass tube to catch them. If I install a length of the vinyl tubing, it has no where to go and when I raise the ram, the vinyl tube will lift out of any cup or catch pan, then when the spent primer drops thru I will have the same problem, darn little things ricochet around and then I have to go find them littering my floor and work bench.

I need/want something like the Forrester uses. There is a cup that is attached to the spent primer tube. Raise the ram, the cup lifts up and the primer drops into the cup. I can attach a cup to the LnL in a similar fashion if I can just find a small straight side, non-glass jar or cup with a metal screw on lid. Everything I have found is either not straight sided (necessary on the LnL because the clearance between the brass tube and the pawl gear is pretty tight) or too tall or too small, or too wide (I will have to drill the hole in the lid of the jar off-center, that is not a problem but due to leverage, it limits the diameter.

I know I cannot be the only person with a LnL on an UltraMount ad that means someone else has been down this road as well.

carver likes this.
  10. noylj

noylj Active Member

Well, if you get a long enough vinyl tube, it will go down to the floor and into a bucket, waste basket, box, or whatever. The ID of the tube is more than large enough for the primer to fall through a bend.
    I have no idea why any one wants those "high mounts," but can you put a can inside with a short length of vinyl tube?
    Again, put a clamp on the tube so it can't slip off the brass tube.

carver likes this.
  11. Avirginian

Avirginian Member

How about this? Shorten the brass tube, get a small plastic jar. I don't have an Ultramount so I don't know if this will work. It would have to be a tall skinny jar of some sort fit between the ram and the tube.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    carver likes this.
  12. yep380

yep380 Active Member

I do this as well. Mine drops into a plastic Folgers coffee container. The container has a small hole in the lip, and I screwed a hook in one of the legs on the reloading bench to hang it from.

I've also recently started doing my decapping with a LEE single stage press and universal decapping die. I do this so I can decap prior to tumbling and not worry about dirty brass scratching up the sizing die.

13. DRAINSMITH

DRAINSMITH Member

I mounted mine on 2X2 angle iron. Mine is bolted to the bench. But if you used carriage bolts you could C-clamp it to your bench.
    [​IMG]

yep380 likes this.
  14. yep380

yep380 Active Member

Drool! :cool:

15. DRAINSMITH

DRAINSMITH Member

[​IMG]
    You were saying?

yep380 likes this.