The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to gunshop last where the previous week I had scored a box (100rds) of CCI Mini Mags. The limit was one per customer. They were out, but had lots of CCI CB Longs. So I thought what the heck, better than nuthin. Bought 3 boxes (300 rds). It's at least 30 years since I've fired any .22 longs. Probably more. And I'm not sure these are the same as what we had back then. Absolutely no report. All you hear was the hammer drop on the gun. Seems like I recall longs having a report back in the day.
Of course not as accurate as .22LR from same gun. But I'm glad I bought them. When I have .22 project guns, I often test fire them in my back yard. Shooting into the ground. I don't live within city limits so it's legal here. But altho none has ever complained, I do have neighbors fairly close by. Now with quiet ammo I won't have worry about scaring them or the dogs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The CCI CB Longs are a hoot. They don't have a powder charge, only the primer. Even so, they push the little 29 grain bullet at about 700 fps, so at close range they smack pretty good. And they are SILENT from a rifle. Too bad they're not as cheap as bulk .22s (back when we could get them), 'cause they are great for practice. Also good for the first few shots for a new shooter. For backyard pests they are deadly.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
The original 22 us old times remember vs the new CCI CB long

The old .22 Long standard velocity and high velocity versions. The latter launches a 29 grain copper plated lead bullet at a velocity of 1,240 fps with 99 ft. lbs. of energy.
The CCI 22 CB Long
Bullet Weight: 29 Grains
Bullet Style: Lead Round Nose
Muzzle Velocity: 710 fps
Muzzle Energy: 32 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The CB Longs have one grain of powder in them, so they are not as quiet as CB shorts, which have no powder. Their main advantage is they will manually work in a Long Rifle firearm where shorts would jam. If for example you use them in a Ruger Mk II, they will of course not operate the slide, but you can manually operate the action. Same with an Auto rifle, the CB Longs will not operate the action ( except for one rifle, which I cannot remember the name ), but they will not jam when you operate the action by hand. Also since they do have one Gr. of powder, there is less chance of a stuck bullet as happens with the shorts in a rifle ( sometimes ). Added, No, CB Longs are the CB Shorts big brother, They are not the same .22 Long of yesteryear

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Not long ago someone was talking about BB caps and CB's. I was sure I had seen powder residue after firing some Remington CBee22's that I have had for years. So just to satisfy myself I tore one apart and sure enough there was powder in there. Like a dummy I didn't weight but it was close to an eighth of a teaspoon (real accurate, huh). They are marked Low Velocity 22 Long Copper Coated Solid Bullet Remington CBee22. 30gr. bullet, muzzle velocity 720fps, at 50 yards vel. of 640fps. I have been working on that brick for years mostly firing into a trap in the basement.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Interesting! I had to shoot a rat near my shop, and I grabbed a Long CB-thinking it was the same as the short version. It was quite a bit louder than the CB shorts out of a 19" bbl. rifle.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have killed at least 100 tree rats with CB longs....work just fine to about 50 yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts