CCI Stingers/Squib loads ?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by PRR1957, May 31, 2020.

1. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

There mite be a problem with CCI’s QC.

I watched a YouTube video yesterday, were a guy reviewing a new in the box, Taurus, TX22. He was shooting an assortment of CCI 22LR ammo, and when he got to the Stingers, he had three ammo faults,
    1-Failure to eject.
    2-The rimmed base of a fired case had blown out and partially separated.
    3-Squib load, One definitely, possibly two.

I tried linking the video, but that never works on my POC Apple phone, so this is the video channel name, Guns&Cars, and the video title is, Taurus TX22 Review & Shoot - Ends Catastrophically. Watch it and make your assumptions.

In the mean time, I am researching if other people have been having problems with current production CCI 22LR ammo, or any of their other ammo since CCI was bought by ATK (Alliant Techsystems/Vista Outdoors).

Edit a mistake. The YouTube channel is Guns&Cars.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Stinger's case length of .702 is longer than the standard .22lr's case length of .613, and this has been known to cause ejection problems. If the longer case length is preventing full breech closure on the Taurus TX22 I can see how this could/would contribute to rim blowouts. As to the squib loads, might be a one-off fluke, or it could be a manufacturing problem.
    p.s. About five of six years ago I was in our LGS when a woman came in to complain about case rim blowouts in her newly purchased Ruger Mk III. She was using CCI Stingers.

Last edited: May 31, 2020

3. PRR1957

I have a Walther P22 that I shoot about 150 rounds of Stingers through it, but that ammo I had acquired about five years prior. I did have FTEs with Stingers after the guns recoil spring had softened up from about 500 or so rounds of differing 22LR ammo shoot through it. What I found was as the recoil spring and the slide worn in, that with Stingers, the slide would rebound against its back stop pushing the slide forward faster and the spent case would not have enough time to clear the top front of the slides ejection port or barrels breach face and catch on them. I remedied that by replacing the recoil spring with an after market TandemKross (Midway) captured recoil spring with a SS recoils spring rod, (The captured recoil spring makes reassembly so much easier.) and a Volquartsen extractor. The pistol now will shoot what ever I feed it be it Remington Subsonic or CCI Stingers.

4. msheff

msheff Well-Known Member

I’ve been having some fail to fire with the latest batch of CCI 22’s I bought. I tried several different rifles to be sure my rifle wasn’t acting up. Had fail to fire in every rifle. I haven’t tried in any of my hand guns yet.

sparkyv and shootbrownelk like this.
  5. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I haven't had any FTF with CCI stingers, and certainly no squibs. I shoot revolvers and bolt rifles. The only ammo that I have used that have FTF were the infamous ThunderDuds.

Telcotech, msheff and mogunner like this.
  6. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Strange, just this morning I read on THR forum of a guy that had many FTF and reported 30 squibs with recently acquired CCI MiniMags. I'd never heard of such a thing! A second guy chimed in that he too had had FTFs with new MiniMags. What's going on, is this for real? o_O

Were these MiniMags or "Stangers"?

7. PRR1957

I am still researching this. I am waiting for any responses from the other gun forums I am a member of. I will report back if I come up with any more evidence of faulty CCI 22LR ammo.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I just bought 500 rounds of CCI MaxiMags, so I hope if it is true that CCI is having problems, it has NOT followed suit over to the magnum rounds.

shootbrownelk and howlnmad like this.
  9. msheff

msheff Well-Known Member

They are mini mags.