CCI Subsonic not feeding??

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by larrye44, May 2, 2009.

1. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

I have a Pac-Lite on my Ruger MKII and I have shot CCI Subsonic several times and it shot good. Today I got a new box and 3 out of 5 cartridges would not feed. I had to push the bolt into battery almost every other time a cartridge was stripped from the magazine. It was like the bullet was a thousandths or so too large for the chamber. Has anyone else had this happen? Thanks everyone, Larry.

2. pawn

pawn Active Member

That is strange :confused:, cci subs feed reliably in both my mkII and III but I don't have the pac-lite aftermarket upper...

Have you had feeding problems with any other ammo?

3. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

No problems with any other and I have tried about 20 different kinds looking for what it wants to shoot best.

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Real target 22 barrels include a tight match chamber which can hamper loading. But I have over 10 target grade pistols, from a Ruger MK II to a Benelli MP90S, including the most accurate of them all, the Marvel 22 Conversion Unit Number One for my 1911. Every one of those ten 22 target pistols feeds, chambers, extracts, and ejects CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Most shoot it as well as their favorite ammo, or nearly so. While not sub-sonic it is very close in a pistol. You might want to consider trying it. I was so happy with its performance across my line of target pistol that I bought a case (BO, Before Obama) and that is all I shoot in those guns.

LDBennett

5. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

Thanks, LDBennett, the Standard Velocity by CCI shoot real good too. I was just concerned since I was able to get good groups with Subsonic and then next thing I know it won't feed. I want to shoot in NRA Conventional Pistol and was going to use the Subsonic for practice since it shot so well. For the match, believe it or not, Wolf Match Target shoots the best (for the price) and no duds in any that I have shot. The absolute best is Lapau Master L, but the price is too high right now. When my skills develop a little more then I will start shooting it. Thanks again. Larry

6. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Active Member

Do not despair, sometimes you just get a bad box. Generaly older or poorly stored will sometimes di the same thing.

I have several High Standards that will not feed CCI Subs, but have several others that have no such problem. Remember also that the lighter weight of the pistol (upper)makes it much more sensitive to grip strength, commonly refered to as limp wristing. While many deny this, it is very common and when you reduce the overall weight of any blow-back operated weapon; it`s very easy to induce without trying. Be it rifle or pistol.

CCI subs work excellent in about 95% of rifles and pistols I own, but the ones that don`t like; don`t. These are problems in semi-auto`s only, they feed smoothly in all pumps-bolts-levers.

You might try Aqulia subs as they seem more consistant, I shoot these and CCI alnog with Remington.
    EDIT-
    Also remember these all have a heavy glazing on the bullet for lubricating (high gloss lead bullet) and require more frequent "chamber" cleaning.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

larrye44:

My understanding is that Wolf Match Target 22 ammo will no longer be sold here. I also understand that it is really Lapua ammo and will repackaged as SK ammo and of course will be priced much higher. Anyway that is my understanding so you may want to investigate availability of the Wolf ammo before you base a season of competition on it. I too have gotten the best overall result in multiple guns with Wolf Match Target ammo but have seen the prices climb tremendously from $29 a brick to over $40 a brick. I have settled for slightly less accuracy but ammo that is a lot more available and a lot cheaper to use... CCI Standard Velocity. An added advantage is that it shoots well in ALL 10 of my 22 pistols which Wolf Match Target does not.

LDBennett