CCW modern vs old

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by soonerfan66, Sep 7, 2020.

1. soonerfan66

soonerfan66 Well-Known Member

Our church at Halloween we have a carnival type trick or treat thing for kids and I have strapped on my Colt Walker , Dragoon and a big Bowie knife , boots and cowboy hat for it few times . With those two horse pistols I almost need suspenders to hold my gun belt up . And after a few hours helping at the little booths and it's over those guns felt like weighed 50 pounds each . Most know that they were meant to be carried in holster over the saddle of the horse . My wife says instead of carried by a horse they were carried by a jacka** . She loves me so much .

sharps4590, chaswea, Grizzly2 and 4 others like this.
  2. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My current edc is a Smith Model 60. when I first got a permit I carried a Beretta 92M single stack.

chaswea and shootbrownelk like this.

3. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

:rotfl:

chaswea likes this.
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Currently, a Sig P-365. When I first started carrying back in the '60's, It was a Hi-Standard, .22 mag Derringer or a S & W Snubbie in .38 S&W. That was before FOID Cards, CCW Permits. All you needed was a good reason. Mine was teaching high school in Gary, IN.

chaswea and soonerfan66 like this.
  5. Grizzly2

Grizzly2 Well-Known Member

Today it's either a Sig P250sc dao or an older Charter Arms 3" Bulldog .44 special or the older Undercover stainless steel, both from the Stratford years.

As much as I like the 3" Bulldog, my old timer would most likely be a big bore British Bulldog although I'd probably be happy with a short barrel peacemaker at maybe 4 3/4" and maybe my Grandfathers 30-40 Krag he brought home from the Spanish American War for my rifle.

chaswea likes this.
  6. soonerfan66

soonerfan66 Well-Known Member

I got a Krag carbine , love it . Put my empty 30-40 brass in tumbler today cause supposed to rain all day tomorrow . Also got a 1893 Spanish Mauser to go with it . Your grandpa was lucky he wasn't stuck with a Trapdoor instead like a lot of the soldiers !!

Grizzly2 and chaswea like this.
  7. chaswea

chaswea Well-Known Member Supporting Member

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Today...goodness...anything from a CZ 83 or 84, CZ 50, Bersa Thunder 389, 1911 A-1, S&W 696, Colt Army Special in 32-20...or any of a half dozen others. Just depends on my mood and where I'm going.

Pre-1899, 4 3/4, Colt SAA in 45 Colt....or Alpo's shorty SAA...that is cute!! I do have a Remington Patent Deringer, in 38 Spl. but with its 26 lb. trigger pull and minute of garage door accuracy at card table distances, it is better used as a throwing projectile or a club.

msheff likes this.