CCW pistol

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by AlaskanCelt, Dec 13, 2015.

1. AlaskanCelt

AlaskanCelt New Member

Looking into getting a nice small inexpensive by not cheap ccw. Wanted to go with the ruger lcp but never had any experience with .380. I like how easily I could conceal the lcp but is that .380 gonna do damage if needed? So maybe the ruger lc9s or sccy cpx. Thoughts or experiences with any of the 3?

2. Bayou Ogre

Bayou Ogre Active Member

Personally, I recommend old school revolver, Charter Arms, 5 shot, .44 special bulldog.

carver likes this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, AC. I personally carry a Sig Sauer P-938 which ain't exactly what I would call inexpensive. I have owned the two 9mm you mentioned and of those two I think I would recommend the SCCY over the LC9. The Ruger that I had shot about a foot high at 10 yards, where the SCCY shot pretty true to Point Of Aim.

I don't know any thing about the LCP, the .380's I have owned are the Keltec P3AT, the Llama .380, and the Sig P-238. I still have the Llama but traded off the other two, nothing wrong with them, I just wanted something different.

4. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First off, Welcome to the forum!

I'm in the school of bigger is better. My wife does carry the LCP, but I want maximum damage, not just a little damage! I prefer calibers in .44, or .45. Maximum Impact! I have never owned a 9mm so I can't help you decide which one you want. The .44 special Bull Dog weights in at around 19-20 ounces empty. Think of that as you look at pistols for self defense.

5. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

I carry a Sig P938 when I am not carrying my P220 I have a few others as well S&W Bodyguard S&W 342 & an 3" SP101 depending on dress and time of year. Both Sigs ride in Paddle holsters. A SCCY
    CPX2 is dedicated to the P/U console. I chose the Bodyguard over the Ruger because it has a better
    purchase on the grip and the built in Crimson trace cat toy. The Button is directly under my trigger finger when drawing from my pocket allowing me to turn it on as I draw. No need to raise my hand to acquire my target and giving a better field of view for alternate threats while maintaining better retention of my weapon keeping it close to the body.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  6. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

I thought I was "old school" because I carry DA/SA, metal framed semiautomatics.:rolleyes:

gunnut1215 likes this.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I think that if you ever tried an Alien Gear holster, you would throw those paddle holsters away. I have a box full of all the holsters I tried out until I found them!

crystalphoto likes this.
  8. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of tuckable holsters, to many moves. I have 1 IWB holster that is comfortable for all day wear from DM Bullard for mySP101. I Prefer leather & OWB or pocket carry

9. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Used to pocket carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT. I've switched to a Baretta Nano. It's a tad heavier but I prefer the 9mm cartridge to the .380. And being heavier, it shoots easier. My old arthritic hands will thank me.

dbcooper likes this.
  10. Bayou Ogre

Bayou Ogre Active Member

Personally, I'm about stopping power. 9x19mm ball has a nasty habit of zipping through a body. And any 9mm round that offers any sort of stopping power, generally is a candidate for jamming up the works. Hence, why I prefer wheel guns that chamber .41 or better cartridges. Although I feel these newer .50 are a bit of over kill, especially for the wrist. Too many fight the recoil, rather than ride it.

11. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Taurus PT 809 Compact? Give you 12 rounds of 9mm, I think.

12. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

Ball ammo tends to punch straight through
    17 rounds of high quality hollow points will ruin your day

13. dbcooper

The Nano is a quality gun
    Smooth , nothing to catch on clothes
    Dependable
    I had one but ended up trading for a S&W Shield 9mm

Guts3d likes this.
  14. dbcooper

Friends dont let friends buy Taurus:D

Pawpaw40, crystalphoto and Guts3d like this.
  15. gunnut1215

gunnut1215 Well-Known Member

Now db, that's just wrong. :( I've owned several in the past and they are darn good pistols. Before you ask, the reason I USED to owned them is because of a divorce.

dbcooper and Guts3d like this.