Centerfire single shot rifles

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by orion340, Oct 5, 2017.

1. orion340

orion340 New Member

Still fairly new here & looking to post info regarding centerfire single shot rifles. I searched for single shot rifles & found a page with several posts but could not find a way to post anything there. Can anyone tell me how to post there or should I just post in tech questions & info? Entered a thread title above but not sure if it is ok to do so. Any info will be appreciated.

2. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want know. If it is a mechanical issue post here. If it information and value post under ask the experts. Be sure to include pictures or it will go nowhere.

3. orion340

orion340 New Member

No real issues, just thought I'd post some info & pics of a couple single shot rifles I put together.

Broot, Kweeksdraw and ysacres like this.
  4. orion340

orion340 New Member

Here are a few pics of a single shot rifle I put together. sometime ago I bought a regular NEF s.s. in .223 cal. I took it apart, modified the stock & forearm & reamed the chamber to accept the .219 Zipper. I dished the stock out to make a more comfortable hold & I carved a schnable on the end of the forearm before refinishing. Also had to change the extracter to accept the reformed .30-30 brass I use. I should say that I can shoot both right or left handed but mostly left handed because my left eye is dominant so the dish in the stock is on the left side. It shoots 1" or better groups @ 100 yds with once-fired cleaned brass in the following load: 30 gr of
    H-380, WWPP-64 gr bullet, Federal Match primers, 3200fps. I think you might have to click on the images to enlarge them. Just noticed that the last pic is of another(different) Single shot I did & will post more on it later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. orion340

orion340 New Member

This is another s.s.rifle I made up sometime before the .219 in my previous post. Used a T/C frame I had & bought a barrel in 7mm TCU. Got a nice unfinished walnut semi fancy L.H. stock & mannlicher style forearm. Finished the stock & put it all together. Made up cases from .223 Rem. brass. It is a tack driver @ 100 yds with 140 gr Sierra bullets over 24.5 gr of 3031 & CCI or Win. SR primers & has taken several big game species(2-sheep,black bear,several whitetail,mule deer & 3-wild boar). I've hunted in many places around the world & most of my rifles are still L.H. bolt actions but always had a soft spot for the single shots & I still have & shoot a couple R.H. bolt action rifles. Hope the pics look ok & I'm not posting too many or babbling too much. You might have to click on the pics to enlarge them.
    Remember, Every day spent hunting,fishing or just in the outdoors does not count against your lifetime!

Attached Files:

Broot likes this.
  6. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I share your love for single shot rifles.
    When I go bored working in the shop , I would scrounge old beatup single shot shotguns and turn them into single shot rifles. I had a lot of fun doing it because the shop I worked at had every reamer you could imagine.

joe45c, Broot, orion340 and 3 others like this.
  7. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I been looking at those Wizard rifles in .223.i enjoy my .22 single shot Rossi.Everyone likes to shoot it.Open the barrel and the shell flys over your shoulder.

dbcooper likes this.
  8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of fond of the single shots but I generally get all warm and fuzzy over the falling block actions.

Boss has a Ruger Number One in .338 Lapua that really intrigues me. Can't afford it but still, it intrigues me lol.

Guess I'll just have to stick with the 45-70 Sharps I have, it's probably less brutal to shoot anyway. ;)

joe45c, dbcooper and orion340 like this.
  9. orion340

orion340 New Member

Years ago I did much the same as you & sold them. I also like O/U Rifles and turned a Weatherby 20 Ga. O/U shotgun into an O/U .270 Win. which I kept for myself but sadly, I lost it and a few more of my guns in a fire some years ago.

10. orion340

orion340 New Member

I like the.45-70 cal. & it is certainly able to take any of the North American/African species within reasonable ranges.

11. orion340

orion340 New Member

Never had a Rossi but they look very nice. I did mount scopes on a few of them for other people & they shot very well.

12. orion340

orion340 New Member

I have a Ruger No.1 in .220 Swift & once when I was getting ready to leave on another safari, a friend of mine sent me a Ruger No.1 he made up in .577 Nitro Express & a box of cartridges to take along & try it out. Not sure anymore but I think they were 525 gr. sp bullets & here are a couple pics of them dug out of 2 Cape Buffalo in Africa & 1 Water Buffalo in Australia. The rifle did shoot very well.

Attached Files:

Broot likes this.
  13. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My farming buddy keeps a Handi Rifle in 22-250 in the cab of his tractor and has whacked many a yote

orion340 and crystalphoto like this.
  14. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

orion, evidently you have a significant amount of hunting experience from around the world!!!! I'd be interested to hear more about the #1 converted to 577 Nitro. That is a cartridge one could honestly call "massive". I always liked the #1 and have had a few over the years. Only one I have now is in 450/400 and I'm always watching for one in 9.3 X 74R.

I'm a sucker for a nice single shot rifle and have several but my tastes run much, much more traditional.

Grizzley1 likes this.
  15. orion340

orion340 New Member

Hi sharps;
    Re the .577 Nitro I mentioned previously, I didn't have it that long because I gave it back to my friend right after I came back from that safari & never had a chance to really check what all he did. However, he did mention that he just installed a .577 bbl on the Ruger No.1, installed a 1/4 rib on it & some kind of recoil arrester in the stock. It was a fairly heavy rifle, balanced well & not that bad to shoot. Also, re the 9.3x74R in a Ruger No.1, I didn't see it but heard of one selling for $1,200+ recently.