The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I need to add a swaging tool to my reloading equipment. In looking at options I came across this CH4D tool and wonder if anyone has one http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/priming/419000. Does it work and is it a good option? I'm not ready to spend $100 on the Dillon super swager, but would like something more than simple reamer.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I have used a Lee reamer tool in a drill press to remove military crimps for years.

It is an easy and fast process

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked in all the usual places (Midway, Midsouth, CTD) and can't find a Lee Reamer tool. Does it go by a different name?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I just use the standard case mouth deburr/chamfer tool when I need to clean up crimped primer pockets.
If you've got just a few, it doens't take too much effort...just like cleaning up case mouths. I usually do those piddly little reloading tasks like that when I'm watching the boob-tube.
If you've got a whole bunch, then a swaging tool might be a good investment.

That CH swaging setup is about like most of the other brands. I've used the RCBS swage tool like that and it works good. Plus CH makes good stuff, so you don't need to worry about the quality.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After sorting two 5 gallon buckets of 9mm brass I have something like 800 - 1,000 military cases. Some need the crimp removed and some do not, but I'm torn between just putting them all in the scrap bucket and trying to get them in shape to load. I don't pay for them so it is not an economic loss for me, but I don't like throwing away good brass. So I'm looking at options and reaming each one by hand is not on the list.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yeah...I would call that a bunch to do by hand. Wouldn't be too high on my list of fun jobs either.
I'd go for the CH kit (or whatever brand you can find in stock).

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I've looked in all the usual places (Midway, Midsouth, CTD) and can't find a Lee Reamer tool. Does it go by a different name?
I'm sorry, I didn't use the correct name

here it is

its called a Chamfer/Deburring tool

I have an adapter for mine that makes it easy to put in a drill chuck

I just set mine in the drill press and turn it on and stand in front of it with a bucket full of crimped brass
once you get the feel for it, you can work a few pounds of brass in just a short amount of time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
dbCooper,

What kind of an adapter and where do you get one?

SAC? I to was in SAM, MAC, TAC, then AMC. Back in the good ole days.

Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had the CH4d swage for several years. It will get the job done however it will leave leave a mark on the rims similar ejector mars from some M1 Garands or machine guns.
I prefer using a Forester Chamfer tool however for large batches it much faster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts