Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Challenge for the pro's, need help ID,ing please.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by shuttle28, Apr 25, 2009.

1. shuttle28

shuttle28 New Member

I have no clue what this is other than it was brought home from a service man in the Korea conflict. It looks kinda like some sort of training rifle to me.
    the stock was cut down, and i believe it originally had an upper hand guard as well, the rear sight is flanged to hold the upper in place. hopfully you can read the numbers in the pics i've included. It does have some distingquishing symbols such as a crown with an re below it. anyway. if you have any ideas. please help as i have no clip for it and would like to try tracking one down. it does have on the sight, CAL.7,35 which i've never heard of.
    thank you all in advance.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. shuttle28

shuttle28 New Member

try again

Attached Files:

• g11.jpg
      g11.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    • g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
    • g4.jpg
      g4.jpg
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views:

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It is an Italian Model 38, chambered in 7.35 Carcano. I doubt if anyone loads it, anymore. You can make cases out of 6.5 x 54 Mannilcher brass, if you can find any of that. It falls between the 30/30 and 300 Savage in power.

http://surplusrifle.com/carcano9138/index.asp

4. shuttle28

shuttle28 New Member

Thank you Alpo.
    very good info, that gave me something to look up. now i found more info than i can use, thanks again.

5. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Hey shuttle28, you didnt by any chance pick that up in a box along with old
    " WARREN COMMISION " stuff...did you.....if so , could be valuable.....may not be same model , but I believe same ammo L H Oswald used...? :p:p:p:D

6. shuttle28

shuttle28 New Member

no such luck, I checked serial numbers.
    ya know how it is, the one i get is always the worthless one.
    oh well.

7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually, same model but different caliber. The original gun was the model 1891 in 6.5mm. They redesigned the gun into the 1938, and chambered it in 7.35mm, for a short while. But since they had massive amounts of 6.5 in stock, they decided that changing calibers was a financially irresponsible plan, so they stayed with the new gun, but chambered it in the old caliber. So, Oswald had a Model 38, but it was in 6.5.

We did the same thing, in case anyone is interested. Ever wonder why the M1 Garand rifle holds eight rounds? Stupid amount, when you think about it. After WW1, the US government decided to change calibers. We were going to go to a .27 caliber, of some sort. So Mr. Garand designed his rifle to hold ten rounds of this new caliber ammo. Then the bean-counters said, "We've got umpty-ump million rounds of 30/06 in inventory. It would be bad, moneywise, to change to a different caliber." So, we stuck with the ought six. Mr. Garand had to redesign his rifle, and, as the ought six is larger in diameter than the .27 caliber round, there was only room for eight in the gun, now.

9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Some of these Carcanos were even chambered in 8x57 Mauser, but they don't show up very often. I wonder if the rarity was due to numbers produced, or not many survived those chamber pressures.:rolleyes:

10. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

Correct, It is Oswalds weapon of choice. I have a colt cobra lightweight, same model Jack Ruby used to kill oswald. I would like to pick up a carcano to complete the collection of guns used in the assasination. Being a history buff makes collecting vintage firearms that much more exciting.

11. dartswinger

dartswinger Active Member

Hey shuttle28, I'm close to you, ever hear of Walnuttown? I have one exactly like this given to me a few yrs ago by someone who couldn't find ammo and wouldn't have been able to load it as he didn't know it needs clips. I've been shooting mine by reloading original military brass (converted to Boxer prime) and swagged down .308 147gr. FMJ bullets. Certainly not a target rifle, but I wouldn't want to be too close to the wrong end!

12. heyyall_watchthis

heyyall_watchthis New Member