Charles Daly Gone

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (11/22/02 8:37:02 pm)
    Reply Charles Daly Gone
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Went to the range for a little shooting. There was a guy shooting beside me with an old series 70 Colt. After shooting several targets, he asked if he could shoot my Daly. Told him "Sure".

After firing 25 rounds with good results, he asked if I wanted to trade.

I got a nice old Colt and $100. His idea not mine.

The Colt doesn't group very good.....yet.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/22/02 9:40:22 pm)
    Re: Charles Daly Gone
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congrats shooter45 - and I'm sure that shortly that ole Colt will be shooting just fine.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/22/02 10:20:20 pm)
    Reply Re: Charles Daly Gone
    I'd say by the time you quit feeling guilty, it'll be out shootin the Daly.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (11/22/02 10:31:38 pm)
    Yeah. I do feel a bit guilty but it was his trade and he was happy.

I have plans for the Colt but they will have to wait for now.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/23/02 8:59:41 am)
    You felt guilty? Sure you did (as you sprinted for your car before he changed his mind)!

I can see it now.....Shooter is standing before St. Peter at the Pearly Gates:

St. Peter: "And you took a hundred bucks to boot?"

Shooter: "Well....er.....I......well it was HIS idea!"

St. Peter: "The down elevators are over there son!"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/23/02 12:33:35 pm)
    Can't beat that deal!

Nice Sam!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/24/02 8:39:39 pm)
    Stuff like that never happens to me. All my good clean livin' for nothin'!

Nice job, Sam.
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (11/24/02 9:08:25 pm)
    X, I didn't feel THAT guilty.

The Colt is a nice looking pistol with 85% finish. The barrel was leaded pretty bad . Could even be shot out. It won't matter as I have a Kart NM barrel laying around. The frame to slide fit is about as bad as I have seen. No problem.

I'll make this one shoot.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/1/02 5:56:20 pm)
    Shot the Series 70 again today after cleaning. Still not grouping very well even after using the Lewis Lead Remover.

The barrel is shot out. I guess I'll install the Kart NM Barrel this week.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/02 6:17:03 pm)
    shooter: Alright another project gun. Will you keep us posted on the progress of the new toy. The old one came and went so fast.

Smoky the curious

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I got the Series 70 Colt out of the safe today and gave it a good cleaning. The finish is better than I thought, so I did a trigger job. Haven't had time to fit the NM barrel, but I did have an almost new Colt barrel with a bushing that was already fitted. So I installed the barrel and fitted a link and pin.

I had already fitted the frame and slide just a little tighter. Not too much as I want perfect function on this one.

Now after all that, it's raining outside so the ranger report will have to wait til next week.

3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

While wiping down the Colt this morning I have decided the sights will need to be changed.

4. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Shooter: you'd better leave it in the safe till ya go shooting or you'll have a "full race "gun when you do get to the range.

It seems if I get'um out of the safe I need to do something to them; more than just fondle.

Smoky the fondler? sounds like one of them perverts:D

5. Shooter45

Smoky, I want to see how well this Colt will shoot with just a little tweeking. None of the bells and whistles. Now, if I'm forced to install a match barrel due to poor groups, the Series 70 could become a full custom 1911.

I have already made a parts list.......................just in case. :cool:

6. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

That's my man. I was about to do wonders to my Springfield gov. model. I took it out to the range after some trigger work and shot 2" groups with the two piece brazed barrel. Good enough for me.

Smoky the surprised:p

7. Shooter45

Nothing wrong with a Springfield barrel. If properly fitted, they will hold a tight group.

8. Shooter45

Just back from a small match. And yes, I competed with the Series 70 Colt. Hadn't even test fired it yet. The pistol is accurate enough for combat matches and reliable.

I plan on shooting a few groups with it today after a little cleaning. Then decide which way I want to go with it. Full custom or leave it alone. The pistol will definately need a longer trigger. Also I like a combat hammer and a beavertail grip safety feels right in my hand............................ ;)

9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

Shooter45...

Give up some Pic's when ya can!...Sum of us could use some shootin guidance!...not me a'course, but sums of the rest of these people's...[​IMG]

10. Shooter45

SG, I'll take some before and after pics and post them.

After shooting the Colt, I have decided it would make a great full custom 1911.

The Series 70 just doesn't feel right in my hand. I'm going to have to decide if I want Novac or Bo-Mar sights. Most of my 1911's have Bo-Mar adj sights and I'm used to the sight picture .
    I have trouble picking up the small front sight. Old eyes.

I should probably start another thread about this old Colt.