The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for some cheap 30-06 ammo. doesnt have to real accurate. just something to go to the range and burn up. im assuming there isnt anything in mass production. but what about reloading. has anyone come uo with a really cheap but workable reloading combination

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Cheapest is usually foreign made milsurp. Be careful if firing in an M-1 Garand. Some of it if hotter than USGI intended. But OK for bolt actions etc.

·
Garandaholic
9,525 Posts
The least expensive 30-06 you're likely to find is HXP from the CMP. $98 +$11.95 ship for 200 rounds loose in an ammo can. You average about 204 rounds, and do have to jump through the fairly easy hoops to buy from the CMP, but quite worth it. Beware, you might get Garanditis like me

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that what your were talking about? im new to the rifle world. as far as the casing size is all 30-06 ammo the same?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
.30-06 is .30-06. and the days of cheap are gone. The HXP stuff the CMP sells is fantastic ammo and safe for M1s. Its lower pressure ammo so a little less recoil and blast can be expected.

·
Garandaholic
9,525 Posts
is that what your were talking about? im new to the rifle world. as far as the casing size is all 30-06 ammo the same?
The only issue with HXP is it tends to be long. Bolt guns and some sporting autos might not chamber it so well. Not every round, but you're likely to find a percentage that won't.

You'll just have to get a Garand to shoot the rounds that won't chamber in your bolt gun. :)

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
The only issue with HXP is it tends to be long. Bolt guns and some sporting autos might not chamber it so well. Not every round, but you're likely to find a percentage that won't.

You'll just have to get a Garand to shoot the rounds that won't chamber in your bolt gun. :)
I'd think a bolt gun might be the easiest to feed. just elip them in manully...

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
perhaps you are just a recoil sensitive shooter.

HXP M2 loaded to M2 spec is a 150 grain bullet at 2700 fps. That is low pressure. It is spec'd for the M1 gas system which requires nor more than 5K psi at the gas port. The avg pressure of M2 is spec at about 55K psi chamber pressure. Compared to the 62K psi of std .30-06, that indeed is low pressure .30-06 and less pressure equals less velocity, which equals less recoil force. That's simple physics.. Not Myth.

·
Registered
82 Posts
M2Ball is M2Ball, tt is not low recoil ammo Fire both M2Ball and Commercial 30.06 and you will not notice any difference.
Yes it is loaded with a faster powder but not that the shooter could tell
Atleast I cant with my Garands. I'm still calling bunk

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
ahh.. the classic.. 'don't let them facts get in the way of my opinion' argument.

sweet :(

55k is less than 62k .. and as the math proves.. there is less total energy. less energy, given other equal circumstances.. means less force.

unfortunately that is not opinion..

oh well.. free world eh? :)

·
Garandaholic
9,525 Posts
I'd think a bolt gun might be the easiest to feed. just elip them in manully...
It's not the feeding action that can suffer, it's actually closing the bolt with the round chambered. The reloading gurus could give you the exact numbers, but some of it is long. I shoot tons of it in my Garands. About 20% will not chamber in my model 70, you can see marks on the bullets when these rounds are removed. It's my understanding that the chamber on the M1 is "roomier" and the extremely forceful action of the Garand will actually seat the bullet upon being driven home.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
M2Ball is M2Ball, tt is not low recoil ammo Fire both M2Ball and Commercial 30.06 and you will not notice any difference.
Yes it is loaded with a faster powder but not that the shooter could tell
Atleast I cant with my Garands. I'm still calling bunk
too bad having 11 M1 Garands doesn't make you understand physics

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
It's not the feeding action that can suffer, it's actually closing the bolt with the round chambered. The reloading gurus could give you the exact numbers, but some of it is long. I shoot tons of it in my Garands. About 20% will not chamber in my model 70, you can see marks on the bullets when these rounds are removed. It's my understanding that the chamber on the M1 is "roomier" and the extremely forceful action of the Garand will actually seat the bullet upon being driven home.
are you saying the ammo is longer than saami spec?

·
Garandaholic
9,525 Posts
I'm not a reloader, just a shooter :) so I can't quote you the numbers. My impression is they may be within the spec, but just barely. When you buy a can of 200 (which I've done about a dozen times) you'll get quite the spread of lengths. If you're looking for some specific numbers, this is discussed at length in many threads over on the CMP forums. As I said, I think the issue is; the Garand is not finicky at all with it's ammo, sporting rifles tend to be, so inconsistencies which might technically be "in spec" show up when used in rifles with tighter tolerances.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So for the OP with his Remington pump rifle (perhaps model 76/760/7600?) if CMP surplus ammo is 'roughly $0.55 a shot - is it 'cheaper' to just shoot that or buy 1 can and then save & reload the brass?

I only reload pistol and have been comfortable figuring I can reload for 1/2 the cost of retail but have no idea if the same holds true for this caliber rifle vs milsurp.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
i reload for 3006

once you discount brass, you are loading way cheaper than buying commercial loads.

I figure I can relaod for a max of 53 cents a round. mind you i bought primers and powder when primers were 2.5-3 cents each.. and powder was no more than high 20's if you bought by the pound. and that's with using new name brand projectiles bought not in bulk.

go with bulk new or pulled projectiles and that drops my cost to about 28 cents a round.

again. that's NOT figuring in a brass price.

I do smaller lots. I imagine someone working in x000 and not x00 like i am will do even better. cheaper powder buying 8# at a time.. bulk primer even now.. bulk projectiles by the thousand, not 100 etc..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I think his m70 just doesn't have much leade is all. All .30-06 ammo is held to SAAMI or CIP standards, which means its all below 3.340" and loaded with .308 cal projectiles to a pressure not to exceed 62K PSI

And milspec, i.e. M2 BALL, is held to pressures not to exceed 55K PSI

1 - 20 of 22 Posts