The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, maybe I'm asking a stupid question. I'll give it a shot anyway. I want to verify the alignment of the threads on a Bulgarian-barreled AK variant for potential use with a legally-owned suppressor. The threads are 14x1 LH. I'm definitely not a machinist. Is there a trick that can be used to quickly check this?

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ted! I know what the threads are supposed to be and I can easily verify those, but I want to verify that the device will be orthogonal to the centerline of the barrel rifling. Baffle strikes are ungood. :)

·
Super Moderator
43,450 Posts
Is this like De Javu - I thought this, or something very close, was talked about last week!!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this like De Javu - I thought this, or something very close, was talked about last week!!
Not exactly, by me anyway. I asked about suppressors with that thread option. I found the thread option, but alignment is something a little more difficult to verify. If imported AK barrels were made to exacting tolerances, I wouldn't even have this question. ;)

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Easy-you use a Suppressor Alignment Rod-you can buy one or do what I do-quality arrow shaft slightly smaller than bore....YES for an AK very important,they are the setup with the most baffle strikes from people I've talked to.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy-you use a Suppressor Alignment Rod-you can buy one or do what I do-quality arrow shaft slightly smaller than bore....YES for an AK very important,they are the setup with the most baffle strikes from people I've talked to.
Thanks zant! Good idea! I had no idea that suppressor alignment rods were a thing. I guess I'll look them up anyway, but I do have some high quality crossbow bolts too. I'll check their diameter. :)

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@zant, I checked my bolts and while I didn't try to slide them into the barrel yet, they may be a little too big. Either I'll look for some more arrows/bolts or look into the alignment rods. Those things are $75 though. I think I can wait until I have everything else in hand before taking that route. I might be able to pay a local smith to check it for me too if they already have a rod. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
@zant, I checked my bolts and while I didn't try to slide them into the barrel yet, they may be a little too big. Either I'll look for some more arrows/bolts or look into the alignment rods. Those things are $75 though. I think I can wait until I have everything else in hand before taking that route. I might be able to pay a local smith to check it for me too if they already have a rod. Thanks!
Yeah,paying 75$ for a straight rod is crazy...that's why I found the right size arrow shaft.I know 2 people that rethreaded the barrel to 5/8x24 so they could direct thread as the quality of the fancy outside thread flashhiders suck

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah,paying 75$ for a straight rod is crazy...that's why I found the right size arrow shaft.I know 2 people that rethreaded the barrel to 5/8x24 so they could direct thread as the quality of the fancy outside thread flashhiders suck
Doing some reading, I'm starting to see how critical the alignment is on those adapters. I picked up a Dead Air 1/2x28 brake/adapter this afternoon and was reading that they want you to use the solid shims for clocking and not a crush washer because of alignment concerns. Yeah, that's a set it up once and get it right kinda thing. I don't have to worry about it for a while, but I wanted to start learning.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
What is the bore size of your AK? If it's a .30 caliber you can buy a piece of 19/64ths drill rod. It's .2969 diameter. Letter size M is .295, N is .302, drill rod is a lot cheaper that 75 bucks.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the bore size of your AK? If it's a .30 caliber you can buy a piece of 19/64ths drill rod. It's .2969 diameter. Letter size M is .295, N is .302, drill rod is a lot cheaper that 75 bucks.
Grizzley, I haven't put a caliper in it, but it's a nominal 7.62mm bore size (~0.300"). I'll keep that in mind! I'll bet I can pick that up at McMaster-Carr pretty reasonably, unless you have another supplier in mind?

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
I usually get my tool steel from Pacific Tool Steel, they're in Portland and that's a long ways from you. McMaster is good though.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually get my tool steel from Pacific Tool Steel, they're in Portland and that's a long ways from you. McMaster is good though.
I'll check out McMaster's offerings this weekend. Deliveries from McMaster normally take only a day from their Atlanta warehouse. I order from them a lot for work, but rarely for my own purposes. Of course, I really don't need this for a long while. I guess I'm just bored and looking for another project. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Grizzley1, I got my drill rod from McMaster-Carr today and it fits perfect! Like I PMed you, I found someone else who had done the same thing. They also ordered it from McMaster, which I found really ironic. I got 3 foot lengths of 0.295" and 0.212" drill rod for .30 and .22 caliber bores. These were about $7 each, with another $9.50 or so for shipping, versus $75 each for purpose-built suppressor alignment rods. They fit snug and should work perfect. I took the other guy's idea and used a piece of PVC pipe that I had laying around to store them in. Thanks for the idea on the rod stock! :)

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
That pvc pipe is a good way to keep them from getting bent. We use it to ship wooden ramrods in. If it can keep a 42 inch hickory ramrod safe from the gorillas at UPS, it will keep your rods safe. :)

You know, at 7 bucks each you could sell alignment rods for $70 bucks a pop and make some extra moolah to buy ammo with. :)

Reactions: ponycar17

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That pvc pipe is a good way to keep them from getting bent. We use it to ship wooden ramrods in. If it can keep a 42 inch hickory ramrod safe from the gorillas at UPS, it will keep your rods safe. :)

You know, at 7 bucks each you could sell alignment rods for $70 bucks a pop and make some extra moolah to buy ammo with. :)
Yep, I just need some end caps for the PVC. I'll oil them up good before storage. I even thought about putting a 90 degree on one end so they would breathe a bit and not trap moisture in there. They wouldn't come out with the 90 installed either.

The idea of selling the rods is pretty tempting. I joked about it to my son already. :ROFLMAO: I don't want any extra work though.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, I finally got the alignment rods chamfered on the ends to protect the barrels and made a storage tube for them. They should work out well. I painted the tube just for aesthetics, but I glued one cap on. I needed to know which end to pick it up by so that I wouldn't drop and bend the rods, so the other removable end became red. @zant and @Grizzley1, thanks for the help!

I also refinished the stock and bluing on a shotgun that I inherited in the process. I replaced some screws and painted the heads of others. It turned out alright for someone like me who's impatient and also stinks at working with wood. The bluing turned out better than the stock though. It has 'character' and it's not worth much anyway.

Now, I need to find another quick project.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts