Chicago Gunsmith for Remington 12-A

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ciaoroberto, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ciaoroberto

ciaoroberto New Member

Greetings! I have an inherited Remington 12-A in what appears to be relatively good condition except that (forgive my lack of knowledge on proper nomenclature) the bullet does not transfer smoothly into the chamber when you pump the action, and it frequently jams.

I'm looking for a gunsmith in the Chicago area with expertise in these rifles to make the repairs and probably restore the bluing.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob

2. millman

millman New Member

What kind of ammo are you using? A lot of these old guns won't feed hollowpoints or flatnosed bullets well. Get some roundnose solids and see if you have any improvement. I often have luck with CCI brand ammo when all the others give problems. Also, make sure the gun is clean inside. Some .22s just won't run dirty.

Good luck,

Millman

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009

3. ciaoroberto

ciaoroberto New Member

Thanks for those tips Millman. Appreciate it very much.

I'd still like to get the name of a local gunsmith who could evaluate the rifle and see if they recommend any work.

Bob

4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

You may want to search more in the suburbs. Since owning a handgun in Chicago is illegal, I think the demand for gunsmiths may be far and few between. Just a thought.