The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made these after church today. We will cook the pan with the biscuits and the one that says Ruger today, and the other one we will freeze for a later date.

4 large chicken breasts
2 potatos
5 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of milk
1 25 oz bag of frozen veggie mix
1/1 25 oz bag of frozen broccoli
2-2 count Pillsbury pie crust rolls (4 rolls total)
Pillsbury flakey biscuits
Salt
Pepper
Seasoning salt
Poultry seasoning

Dice the chicken and potatoes and cook them seperately.

Once cooked put them into a big mixing bowl and mix with all of the ingredients and add the seasoning to your liking. Mix well.

Place the pie crusts in the bottom of two deep dish pie pans, preferably ones that you can freeze/cook in.

Fill the pie pans with the DELICIOUS mixture until it is even with the top of the dish and then put the pie crust dough over the top. Make about 6 to 8 slits on the top of the pies.

Put the left over portion of the mixture into another pan (spray it with cooking oil) and place the raw buiscuits on top of the mixture.

Now cook the pan with the buiscuits at 350 degrees for about 20 min (or until brown).

The chicken pot pies can be immediately cooked or frozen. Unfrozen they cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until brown.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Well done Jim! They look delicious.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Too much salt in canned soup. Homemade is so much better for you. Love chicken and turkey pot pies, though.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too much salt in canned soup. Homemade is so much better for you. Love chicken and turkey pot pies, though.
Other than the soup this is very healthy and even though the soup has salt I still had to add more.

We have been experimenting with this and the next step is to make my own cream of mushroom soup. We like to make it and freeze it so I will also be doing smaller dishes for freezing. That way after a hard days work I can just throw it in the oven and it will make cooking much easier. That's the plan.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Other than the soup this is very healthy and even though the soup has salt I still had to add more.

We have been experimenting with this and the next step is to make my own cream of mushroom soup. We like to make it and freeze it so I will also be doing smaller dishes for freezing. That way after a hard days work I can just throw it in the oven and it will make cooking much easier. That's the plan.
Look at the sodium content on the can. You can't judge by taste. They put sugar (corn syrup) in canned soup which masks the salty taste. But, it's all in there. More salt means longer shelf life and that saves them money.

I can't canned or frozen foods anymore. Way too much salt.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at the sodium content on the can. You can't judge by taste. They put sugar (corn syrup) in canned soup which masks the salty taste. But, it's all in there. More salt means longer shelf life and that saves them money.

I can't canned or frozen foods anymore. Way too much salt.
I rarely use salt anyway so I don't worry about it too much. We also buy the low sodium canned food mpst of the time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
mmmmmm..... i could probably be lured into a rusty old van, in a bad neighborhood with one of those pies....lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
Damn, Jim. With all that goodness I needs to learn you how to make your own pie dough. You'll never go back to the store bought stuff once you've had that flaky goodness of homemade. I use the Paula Dean recipe and approach, and it comes out perfect every time. I also bought a marble rolling pin that I put in the fridge a couple of hours before I make my crust, so I make sure the ingredients stay icy cold.

Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-perfect-pie-crust-recipe/index.html

Here's Paula's YouTube video in case you need a little coaching on method. The dough starts at 3:15 if you want to skip the pie filling part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isflQRc07Do

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, Jim. With all that goodness I needs to learn you how to make your own pie dough. You'll never go back to the store bought stuff once you've had that flaky goodness of homemade. I use the Paula Dean recipe and approach, and it comes out perfect every time. I also bought a marble rolling pin that I put in the fridge a couple of hours before I make my crust, so I make sure the ingredients stay icy cold.

Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-perfect-pie-crust-recipe/index.html

Here's Paula's YouTube video in case you need a little coaching on method. The dough starts at 3:15 if you want to skip the pie filling part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isflQRc07Do
Thanks Joe, now can you shoot me a recipe on how to make something in place of the soup? I am trying to make it healthier and cheaper.

Thanks Bud.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Jim, two things come to mind right off the bat to make it a bit healthier. To make your own cream of mushroom soup with reduced sodium levels, Google "Heart Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup" and you'll get a lot od recipes. Many of them call for reduced sodium chicken stock, but even those levels of sodium may be unacceptable to certain diets. I make my own chicken stock several times a year by keeping "pieces parts" in the freezer until I have enough to make stock (usually 2-4#). The "pieces parts" come from buying chicken parts or whole chickens on sale. I debone the breasts, thighs and legs for cooking with, and throw all the skin, excess fat, bones and wings in freezer bags until I get a pile of them to fill my 12qt. stock pot. I usually have a bunch of bags because I look for chicken parts on sale at Sam's Club when they mark them down as the last date for sale approaches. Super WalMart does the same thing every morning, and you can get good deals on all the different meats they sell.

Fill your stock pot with the frozen parts until about 3/4 full, a whole onion (skin and all cut in half), a couple stick of celery and some quartered carrots for flavor, along with poultry seasoning and fresh ground pepper to taste. NO SALT! Then fill the pot with cold water and put it on the fire and bring to a boil with the lid on (helps boil quicker with the lid). Once at a rolling boil, remove the lid and turn down the heat to a simmer, where you see small bubbles at the top. Here's the clincher for great stock...simmer until 25% of the liquid is reduced from simmering. This can take from 4-6 hours, so I do it first thing in the morning when I get up, and by noon or so it's done.

I then pour all the liquid into another pot through a strainer, and put this liquid to the side to cool. I take all of the non-liquid items and just toss them after eating the carrots as a treat for the chef.:D This time of year I just put the remaining covered liquid in the garage on the floor overnight to get cold, but in the Summer it goes in the garage fridge to cool. The next day you can remove all the fat that has risen to the top, and and you now have a very low fat, sodium free broth with good flavor. I put the remaining soup in pint or quart freezer containers for use in other recipes, or for making soup from this stock. You can do the same kind of thing with seasonal vegetables that come from the garden to make a vegetable stock.

This solves the high sodium part of the soup, because you will make your cream of mushroom soup from this homemade stock instead of low sodium stock from the store. The bonus is none of your chicken "pieces parts" went to waste.

Here's the second idea. When the recipe calls for heavy cream, you can substitute fat free or low fat milk in it place, and to thicken the soup use cornstarch and water which are fat free. You end up with the creamy texture without all the added fat and calories.

The Internet is your friend, so just Google things like "Fat Free Soup," or "Fat free Pot Pies" or "Fat Free Low Sodium (fill in the blank) " whatever in the search box. There are tons of ways to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor.

I can't believe I just typed out all that information and directions. :eek::eek::D:D:D

Eat healthy and eat hearty, my friend!

P.S. I just re-read your post and you want it cheaper as well...Raise your own free range poultry and grow your own veggies. Both can be frozen for future use. If you have enough game birds in your area, hunting gets you the most lean birds you can find...provded you're a good enough shot.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts