1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cal414
(2/7/02 8:41:30 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All CHILD WOUNDED BY OFFICER'S GUNSHOT IN SHOW-AND-TELL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bet she keeps her job....and Glock gets another lawsuit.

From the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER:

CHILD WOUNDED BY OFFICER'S GUNSHOT IN SHOW-AND-TELL
By Barbara Boyer and Thomas J. Gibbons Jr.

Shortly after a Philadelphia policewoman passed around a loaded handgun among students during a show-and-tell at a Germantown charter school, the weapon accidentally discharged this afternoon, grazing a 10-year-old boy in the face.
The student, fourth-grader James Reeves, received five stitches at Temple University Children's Hospital and returned home tonight in good condition, while police and school officials continued their investigation into the incident at Imani Education Circle Charter School in Germantown.

The officer, Vanessa Carter-Morange, 39, a five-year veteran assigned to the Ninth Police District in Center City, was removed from street duty and is now the subject of an internal affairs investigation, police said.

Philadelphia police Capt. Edward Chiodetti said that about 3 p.m., the officer went to the school to pick up her son and was interacting with the students in the boy's classroom. Chiodetti said the children first wanted to see her badge, which she displayed, and then asked to see her weapon, a 9 mm Glock semiautomatic.

Officials said the officer removed the clip from the weapon and then passed it among the children. Although a clip, which contains the bullets, is removed, a round can remain in the chamber unless it is removed separately.

A girl who was among the 23 children in the classroom at the time of the incident, 9-year-old Aatiqah Johnson, said: "Everybody was passing it around."

The weapon eventually was returned to the officer, but as she handled it, she dropped it. When the officer picked it up from the floor, it went off.

The girl said there was a bang, and then she saw blood.

"She accidentally pulled the trigger," said Aatiqah, as she was leaving school holding hands with her mother, Melita Johnson.

Other students said they were told to return to their rooms after the incident as police descended on the campus on the 5600 block of Greene Street.

Chiodetti said that when the officer attempted to put the clip back into the gun, it discharged.

The bullet ricocheted off the floor and grazed Reeves' right cheek.

"The gun should not have been pulled out," Chiodetti added.

Imani Principal Francine Fulton said that the school encouraged parents to participate in such activities and that the school was aware of the demonstration. Fulton declined to discuss details of the discharge.

Throughout the afternoon, concerned parents arrived at the school to pick up their children. Many of the parents had heard of the incident from news reports or from friends, and already knew that their own children were fine.

Tim Williams, whose son Armani is in kindergarten, said he wanted to know more about what happened.

"I was relieved to find out that it was an off-duty officer and not another student," Williams said. Still, he was concerned about a gun being brought into a classroom. The entire incident, he said, "was too close for comfort."

Another parent who rushed to the school, Rhoshanna Morgan, picked up her first-grader, Nadirah, 6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/7/02 8:48:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: CHILD WOUNDED BY OFFICER'S GUNSHOT IN SHOW-AND-TELL
Somebody that stupid has no business carrying a gun!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
always treat a firearm as if it is loaded, you don't put you're finger inside the trigger guard unless you're going to shot, never point a weapon at somebody unless you mean to shoot. The three cardinal rules my great grandfather taught me when i was 5, and he was born in Trinidad, Colorado 1876.
You would figure that an officer of the law would be tought this on day one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sheesh, what a moron! I wouldn't trust that "cop" looking after me or my family. Take her badge and flush it down the toilet.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If that woman had any intelligence at all she would have left the gun in its holster. But instead she took it out and didn't even bother to pull the slide back and lock it just to make sure. They are taking guns from us but not her, what has this country come to? When I was 4 up till I joined the military my dad and grandfather always said "Unload, pull bolt/slide, lock it." If I did'nt do that at the range with them I could'nt go for the rest of the month. I do the same with my kids.

·
Super Moderator
38,546 Posts
What an idiot, I hope she loses her job when IA gets through with her!! You just don't play show and tell with a pistol, loaded or not!

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
The incident happened over seven years ago, it looks like -
What happened to the officer? (should be fired)
The teacher? (should be warned, at least, for allowing this)
The kid? (Too traumatized to ever handle a gun?)

·
Registered
206 Posts
The teacher? (should be warned, at least, for allowing this)
I don't blame the teacher one iota if s/he was ignorant of all things gun and trusted the implied safety/skill/judgment of an "official".
It's what we get beat over the head with from our government all the time; "Respeckt mah authoritay!" She obviously thought someone supposedly "trained" would know what they were doing.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
I don't blame the teacher one iota if s/he was ignorant of all things gun and trusted the implied safety/skill/judgment of an "official".
It's what we get beat over the head with from our government all the time; "Respeckt mah authoritay!" She obviously thought someone supposedly "trained" would know what they were doing.
I don't BLAME her, but she should at least be warned that NO ONE outside of a SCHEDULED and PLANNED demonstration, should walk into her classroom, pull out a gun, and start passing it around to the kids.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh my gosh! I cannot believe what I just read. Why was she handing around a LOADED gun?!? What a freaking idiot!! The media is going to go crazy with this one and make it look like the gun did it all on its own. :mad:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I always find it shocking when an officer doesn't automatically check to make sure the gun isn't loaded EVERY time they handle it. That's my habit, anyway. I hope she was booted out of service and had to get a different job--one without firearms access.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Why are we even discussing a 7 year old subject? Unless it has come up in the courts or something, it is old news. Yes, she was an idiot for not fully unloading the gun. However, bringing up old stuff into forums like this can give the opposition access to data that they may not have had. We are only kidding ourselves is we think that they don't monitor this and other forums.

We all need to really think about the things that we put on this and any forum. The antis will use anything that would make us look like dopes. Lets not be our own worst nightmare!

Old Guy

·
Super Moderator
38,546 Posts
Thanks ampaterry for pointing out the date. I never looked. I wonder what did happen to the officer, is she now the Chief?? (Screw up - move up)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah, Old Guy the last thing we need is the police carrying nothing but billy clubs.
So what is your point? I said nothing about disarming the police. This person did something stupid. My main point is that you should always be careful what you say in a public domain. If you think that what we say in any internet communication is totally private you are fooling yourself. If we want to look like a bunch of dopes, then we simply continue to say some really idiotic things and it will be used against us. I don't believe that it is too much to ask of my fellow gun owners to think and sound responsible with their comments.

Old Guy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why are we even discussing a 7 year old subject?
I can't speak for anyone except myself, but 7 years ago I wasn't a "gun nut" and this didn't even make a blip on my radar. It's good to rehash old stuff for us n00bs so history is less likely to repeat itself. It never hurts to have an edge in the btdt area. Even if it's reading from those who blazed the trail before you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts