children and gun safes ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

cloudjockey
    (4/24/02 6:02:53 pm)
    | Edit | Del All children and gun safes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my problem: For many years I've kept a pistol in the night stand next to my bed, at first a semi-auto (SW 915). After I got married I switched to a revolver (ruger GP-100, which I love), because it is easier for the wife to figure out. She's not real big on guns, but she can shoot it. Well we are having a baby soon (two months) and having a loaded pistol unlocked in the bed room is probably not a great ideal. The problem is keeping the pistol in the combination safe is not very easy to get to in a situation where it may be needed (the safe is hard enough to open in the daylight when I'm awake). The gun safe is also in a different room. Just wondering what other people use or is the a better solution. Any thoughts on this ???????

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/24/02 6:14:20 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: children and gun safes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Several ways to approach it C.J., a picture frame that has a hidden compartment behind the picture, a shelf with a hidden drawer, a shelf high enough to keep the gun out of reach. Just a few ideas off the top of my head... sides, the ladies loves shelves

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/24/02 7:15:53 pm)
    teach the children to leave them alone?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/24/02 7:20:35 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: children and gun safes
    Problem is kids will be kids, and it would only take one curious child to cause a trajedy.

My two boys know not to touch a gun, but what about when they bring a friend over?

A secret hiding spot is what I do. I do not keep the mag in the gun but it is very close by.
    I'm a man of means by no means

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/24/02 7:48:46 pm)
    you're right WP times have changed, I was a kid I wouldn't have thought of touching one of the guns without the ol' man's consent, I'm not positive what would have happened but I was positive I didn't want to find out

mausermania
    (4/24/02 8:07:11 pm)
    CJ,

Another idea works if ya have a headboard with something that resembles small cabinets on either side,like for personal junk. If yer good with wood,make a false door or a drawer you could lock in a manner to keep kiddies out,but not to prevent ya from gettin' it in a hurry. If ya can stash it in a headboard, it would be SAFE and CLOSE by in an emergency

cloudjockey
    (4/24/02 8:46:55 pm)
    Thanks for the replys so far, I like the ideal of a hidden picture. Iam not bad with wood projects, so that may be the way to go. I do like the ideal of teaching your kids to respect guns, but all it takes is one mistake. I was taught as a youngster to repect firearms and never play with them, but I did show my friends the guns when my Dad was gone (I was about 11 or 12). I was lucky and no one ever pulled the trigger or pointed them at someone, but you never know. I knew how too respect the weapon, but never gave it a thought if my friends knew. You hope your kids will listen to you but who knows, kids will be kids. I will teach my kids gun safely, but keeping the guns hidden or locked of seems like the better ideal.

chad
    (4/24/02 10:47:48 pm)
    Hey, been lurking here for a while. I,ve been thinking about this a lot lately. (My son is almost a year old now). I keep a FEG 9mm on the night stand. I've kept a gun near my bed since was fourteen. Guns are accepted part of life down here. I will teach my son to respect guns as I was, but as it was pointed out earlier other kids might not know better. The picture frame that holds a gun is a good idea.By the time they can reach it they should be responsible enuf to be safe. I saw one in Sportsmans Guide a while back , but couldn't find one today. Almost every "accident" that we here about invoving guns and kids could be prevented with a little bit of common sence, not all but most. Anyway good luck with your search.

Chad

gewehr44
    (4/25/02 12:23:55 am)
    Gunvault makes an interesting handgun safe that you can put on your nightstand or somewhere close by that has an imprint for your hand to go & combination buttons under each finger to push. It looks like you should be able to put your hand on it in the dark & open it just by touch. Here's a link:

www.agenglish.com/Handgun/gunvault.html

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/25/02 7:40:56 am)
    Hi Chad.....and welcome to TFF.

Thanks for your input, and don't be afraid to ask questions or offer your opinions......that's what the Forum is here for.

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/25/02 9:35:09 am)
    There are a number of gun safes for just such a purpose. I'm looking at the one that is built into a wall, you cut out between the joists and it fits in flush. I figured on putting it in the closet behind the rack of clothes. Easy to get at, but hidden from all but a determined search.

cloudjockey
    (4/25/02 11:51:10 am)
    I checked out the gun safe with the place for your fingers to go, looked kinda cool. I saw on the TV that there are some new "smart weapons" that only you can fire them. Looked like you had to wear a special ring or braclet with a chip or something in it. Anyone ever hear of this and how far off in the future are these?

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/25/02 12:02:59 pm)
    CJ, just my NSHO, but when an if U need that thing, U gonna want it NOW> I fastened a quik draw holster to the INSIDE of the bed rail where my hand naturally falls.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/25/02 12:06:35 pm)
    hopefully "smart guns" are far, far, far, away I don't want a battery and microchip determining when I can fire

nevada paul
    (4/25/02 1:03:13 pm)
    | Edit | Del gunsafes and kids
    By the time my kids were old enough to reach my hiding places I knew I could trust them not to mess with a gun unless I was around. they also knew to use any means necessary to keep any of their friends away from the hiding places and guns.

One solution in the bedroom, though, is a gun on a closet shelf. I can't reach it from the bed, but it's only a few steps away, and out of reach from youngsters.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/25/02 1:26:50 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: gunsafes and kids
    Kids are curious by nature. At any given time, I'll have 6 to 10 long guns(ole milsurp stuff) hanging around in different parts of the house. I have 5 out in the garage and 6 sitting next to me in the computer room right now. Which is located right next to both bedrooms that my kids occupy. My kids do not even bat an eye at them. They have no interest in them what so ever. I took out any and all curiosity about them a long time ago. Mommy and daddy have no secrets in the closet that needs to be explored when they are not home. Anyways, to get to my point. I know they would never go looking for one of my firearms, but am I willing to bet their life on it? No way!! If you wish to sleep with a loaded gun that is fine as I do the same thing, but I will NOT hide a loaded gun in some nook or cranny waiting to be found. It is just not worth it. If I feel I need to have a loaded gun in the house, I carry it with me always. If kids are around and a loaded gun is around it is an accident waiting to happen. Lock it up or carry it with you.

nighthawksh
    (4/25/02 1:29:34 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: gunsafes and kids
    another product:

I have a Cannon handgun safe, screwed onto the top of my nightstand. It also has 1 5-button combination lock. It is lined and very hard to pry open with the upper lid closing well down over the front. I like it because I can open it in the dark with just a press of my fingers and turning a knob. easier than it sounds, actually. It has enough room for a pretty large handgun (maybe up to a 6' barrel?). It holds my Colt Commander and 2 extra magazines quite easily. This should be a suffcient detterant until I can get my Defender out of the closet.
    anyway, just another product to look at.
    Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

bondai
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/25/02 1:38:40 pm)
    Stan,

Whats the price range on that safe ??

nighthawksh
    (4/25/02 2:01:29 pm)
    Here in the Northwest, those Cannon safes sell for right around $100. A little high, but they have 2 things I really like. the ability to open it in the dark, and the difficulty of getting a pry-bar or something under the lid and prying it open. I did not mention, my nightstand is part of the wall, so to steal it, a thief would have to tear a wall out.
    Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

bondai
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/25/02 2:16:51 pm)
    Thanks

cloudjockey
    (4/25/02 7:11:48 pm)
    Well I did my homework and it looks like the Gun Vault GP1000 is right for me. Looks like it is fast and easy to open in the dark. It has a feature that lets you know if someone (ie. kids) has tried to open it, this might be good to know. Thanks for all the good feed back.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/25/02 8:15:11 pm)
    Welcome to all the guys I have not met yet. Glad to have yoou aboard. This is a topic I am glad people are addressing. There is a need for quick access and safety. I believe they can be had in the same situation. I have the cannon safe mentioned above. It has five buttons that need to be pushed. I have mine set up where I can open it in a combination of two sets. I only have to lay my hands on it once and can have it open very quickly. I have seen some false panels in walls that look pretty good, and one of those near the bed would be a good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.