Children and guns

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by WomenofCaliber, Apr 21, 2009.

1. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

What's your stance on this subject? I feel very strongly about educating children about firearms. I'm curious to see what you guys do. What age do you begin teaching your kids? I wrote a 4 part blog post about this subject and received mix reviews.

http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/children-and-guns—part-i/

http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/2009/03/31/children-and-guns—part-ii/

http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com...-is-it-safe-to-educate-your-children-on-guns/

http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/children-and-guns-part-iv/

2. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Well I learned to shoot and operate fire arms when i was five, the same went for my son. If there educated there safe.

3. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

I'm glad you learned at a young age and taught your son as well. It really is about educating them, not banning all firearms because they are "bad".

4. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think kids need to learn basic safe handling and especially how to check and see if any gun is loaded. I learned at a young age, I plan to teach my nephews about guns, starting this summer.

6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I first learned about and fired a firearm when I was about 6. It was a .25 auto. At about 7 or so my grandmother got a S&W J-frame .38 and I shot that. I knew where she kept it, and that it was loaded, and how to use it. But I also knew what it would do, so I never messed with it unless I was told to or had permission. I also knew how to open the cylinder it if I was handling it. At about 12 or 13 I was given a CO2 air pistol and by that time I was in Boy Scouts and got to shoot a .22, 12ga, or a bow on a regular basis. Kids can be around firearms IF they are tought how to use them safely.

7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Started all my kids young, about 6 depended on the kid. #3 son started at 4 might have been defective though. He became a Paratrooper and I'm Air Force. All the boys are or have been in the military and all firearms afectionados. #2 wants to open a gun shop in Fla. when he retires from the Army. Probably out of the question now with Obama and his merry pack. #1 daughter shoots occasionaly and when she comes up here. #2 daughter is a pistol. #1 sons wife outshoots him. She was a marksmanship instructor in the Air Force. He has trouble with that. But he is a very good shot. Looks like #4 Son is going to be best shot of the lot. He'll be geting back from Iraq in a couple months. Take them shooting young they will love it.

8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I fired my first firearm at age 4. We also lived on a farm in central ohio. I had free run of 70 acres of woodland by the time I was 7. My dad would turn me loose and tell me this"Don't shoot it unless you plan to eat it." I also had these instuctions as well."Don't shoot at the house, If you see a c-yote aim for the eye or the ear, and for heavans sake dont shoot at the neighbors cat." I may not have accsess to the land when I was younger but my son will be tought the resposibilities at about the same age I was.

9. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Whenever tlhey express a curiousity about firearms.....All else is BS !! >MW

10. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

About 8 for me, on a police range with Dad, same for my son.
    .22 is basically his, target shooting and rules ingrained.
    > it is good time spent together, talking about whatever, plinking.
    .308 and 12 ga. also for a wrap up, followed by cleaning.
    Boating or shooting, both teach personal responsibility.

11. 38 special

38 special New Member

I taught my kids about guns when they were in their early teens. The n umber one thing I taught was safety and how guns operate. I also taught them how to shoot. Learning about guns went along with learning how to swim,fish,hunt,picking up nightwalkers,netting minnows for fishing,ice skating ice fishing ,knowing all the animals in the woods, and most of the trees along with alot of other outdoor knowledge.

12. topper

topper New Member

i bought my first gun (remington bolt action .22) at the ripe old age of 13. walked in the store, plunked down my $18 and bought a rifle and a box of .22 shorts. try that nowadays. of course it was in 1963. i had been target shooting and some supervised hunting long before that. i think if more youngsters had the opportunity to correctly learn firearms use, there would be a completely different attitude toward firearms nowadays.

13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

had a experience like toppers. asked my dad if i could by a gun i saw at a resale shop. a single shot bolt action 22. he said ok but couldnt take me there that day as he was to busy. so i got on my bike and went and bought it myself along with a box of 22 shorts and 22 lr. once i got it home mom freaked out and put the gun away ( i was 10 yrs old) once dad got home she went off on him and he squared things away and went to retrive my rifle. we sat on the couch for about a hour and he explained gun safety and the next day we went to a local field with some cans . he supervised me until i ran out of ammo.from that point on i was able to go unsupervised. i took the same approch with my daughters one girl didnt take to guns thought of them as evil still does.the other works for a agency that that requires her to be armed. i thought i had done a good job training her and we've spent hours at local ranges and she even helped me build a range in the back yard once i moved to location with 10 acres. but i guess i didnt train her as well as i thought. once she was given a choice of what sidearm to carry her choices were a sig, a beretta, a h&k or a glock she picked the glock :(:p

14. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

My kids grew up with firearms around the house. It was a part of life. I taught them safety and respect for the gun, well before they got to have a go. First shooting, around 11, first full auto SMGs at 12.

What I wanted? They should handle them with care and respect, they should be able, if required to pick one up and use it properly and that guns should have no mystique or wonder value. The last seems inevitable among those families who deny the kids any contact with any type of gun, and it's not healthy!

Below, my lil girl, when she was lil and pretty. Now shes bigger, and pretty. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  15. Ed K

Ed K Member

Kids grandkids all about 6yrs old got started, safety first fun second shooting air guns at cans etc