The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I bought a Chinese SKS, back when they first flooded the market, don't recall the year but I know that I still had hair and what hair I had still had a color other than gray and white in it...anyways, I think I paid $75 for it out of the gun shop, slathered in cosmo. Probably only ran 100 rounds through it before a buddy offered me $250 for it and away it went.

Earlier this summer I picked up a Saiga in 7.62x39 and recalled how much I liked the caliber. Did the conversion and hung a bunch of stuff on it and it was ok but just didn't have any character to it. Put an ad on ******** for it and in amongst the idiots who wanted it for next to nothing or wanted to trade me Hi Point pistols for it, I did get one glimmer... a gent who said he had a Norinco factory 306 sks, all numbers matching, milled receiver and trigger group, with a LER scope on it, and less than 100 rounds through it. Wanted to know how much boot I'd need in cash for the Saiga, so I threw out $450 as a counter offer, and he took it.

Well, we finally got some snow, and I didn't feel like making my half of the drive up past the city to do the swap so I told him I'd knock $50 off the cash if he'd bring it all the way down to the house, he had no problem with that.

So with no further ado, here's the newest addition to the collection. Haven't shot it yet, my shooting buddy's house got about 6" of the white stuff and he doesn't have a plow for the drive and my 4x4 is dead at the moment so it will have to wait till a thaw.

Wood and finish is immaculate, not a ding or scratch in it. I have an old stock I might throw it in just to keep this one pristine.

Scope is just a Tasco, looks to be just a 1x, the crosshairs are way too fine for these old eyes but I'll give it a try, never shot anything with a LER on it before.

pig sticker, wish it was the blade but oh well..

Oh, and here's the Gerber Apocalypse machete Jr. that the daughter gave me for Christmas too...

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The scope looks backwards.

I have always liked SKS rifles. they are the ultimate utility autoloader. Right next to the Mosin Nagant winning the title of ultimate utility rifle overall.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Scope isn't backwards but it sure is mounted in a strange place. There is a scope mount for the SKS that puts it back above the trigger.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Nice looking SKS. I had one back when they flodded the market too (1990/1991?). I think I paid 75 bucks as well. I ended up selling it a long time ago like a dummy. :banghead:

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I promise the scope is on backwards. The occular bell should face the shooter, not the target, and the adjustment turrets are flipped. Unscrew the rings and take it off the base and turn it around. I bet your crosshairs get bigger and you can see thru it better.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try that, JLA...that's just the way it came last night, I haven't done a thing to it other than check the bore and see if the cleaning kit was still in the butt! Report back in a bit...

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
LER scopes are really the only option for SKS carbines. Thats the only way to mount one solidly. I personally have never seen a gas tube mounted base, theres still going to be a lot of play there too. I would have used a rear sight leaf replacement base from S&K.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swapped ends on it, crosshairs are a BIT easier to see but still not that great, you have to raise your cheek up off the stock. Examined it a bit better, just a 1.5x20 Tasco scope. Will see if I like it once I get a chance to go shoot it, at least I can still see my irons under it, maybe one of them fiber-optic front sight posts might help these old eyes enough to ditch that scope setup. In reality, here in southern parts of Missouri, it's rare to run across an area where you need to shoot farther than 50 yards.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LER scopes are really the only option for SKS carbines. Thats the only way to mount one solidly. I personally have never seen a gas tube mounted base, theres still going to be a lot of play there too. I would have used a rear sight leaf replacement base from S&K.

Doesn't budge a bit, the gas tube lockdown is a PITA to get locked down, I ended up using the tip of a screwdriver to swivel it the last little bit, which it WASN'T locked all the way down before. I've read that the receiver cover rails aren't that great as well, seen some that you have to mount to the side of the receiver like the Mosin sniper scopes, but that's NOT going to happen, no drilling going on here.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Thats good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice...paid $140 for my Chi-com 5 mos ago...

Nice machete too...got one for Christmas also! :D

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Id like to get ahold of a Norinco Paratrooper

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Yeah they are high. I could probably just cut a regular norinco down and re fit the front sight.

·
Super Moderator
41,407 Posts
I just now had a chance to look at this thread and the first thing I noticed was that the scope was on backwards, too. Good catch Josh. Windage knob is NEVER on the left side of a scope, at least the ones I have seen.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
That scope would be worthless to me. Maybe I could mount a magnifying glass in front of it :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
A norinco paratroper 425$ I guess I shouldn't be suprised.Cool:)Scope ,Sks don't need no stinking scope.At twilight they produce large fireballs too:D

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Traded my SKS with composite stock that I paid 250 for last year straight across for a 1911 with 400 rounds through it. Still think I got the better deal :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Id like to get ahold of a Norinco Paratrooper
That makes two of us. I had a chance to buy on way back in 1998 and did not because I allready had a regular SKS. At the time it was only $125.oo dollars. I have kicked myself several times over the years for not buying it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts