Choose one and say why....

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Apr 8, 2009.

Revolver or Semi Automatic Pistol for Self Defense?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2009.
  1. Revolver

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Semi Auto Pistol

34 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I know different guns have been discussed, argued about, praised and bad mouthed, but here is a simple question for the urban environment:

Revolver or Semi Automatic Pistol for Self Defence? Your not going to war or battling drug gangs, just in the pocket or on the hip in case.

You may think this will be very one sided, I am not so sure and there are several newbies we have yet to hear from..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

In an urban environment, where maintaining cleanliness isn't a problem and where printing is a problem, I go with an auto. Because the question is addressed to the urban setting, this was my vote.

When in the woods, where you can't guarantee that you won't get a bit dirty and where it doesn't really matter if someone sees that you're carrying, I think a revolver is the better option.

3. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Auto. It's what I know better. Before I got a gun (years ago) I read a lot about them. One thing I read was statistics compiled by Massad Ayoob. He showed that in pistol combat 25% of shots fired from police revolvers hit their target while 50% of shots fired by police from autoloading pistols hit their target.

Only hits count. So I went with an auto.

I have no idea if the above numbers still hold true or if they ever really mattered but it's why I know autos better than wheels.

4. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I carried a single action revolver in .45 colt when i lived in north carolina. Served me me good for urban and rural areas.

5. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

I chose a semi auto because that's all I've ever owned (except for one .22 snub nose revolver that you couldn't hit a pop can with while standing over it).

I may never need them but I like the extra rounds anyway.

For the most part the semi's are slimmer and easier to conceal.

As far as the dependabilty I feel that a semi auto is every bit as dependable as a revolver in any environment except maybe the artic. I mean the 1911 was used in some of the harshest conditions around the world and it served our troops very well.

6. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

If I could have only one firearm it would be a good 'ol J frame snubby which is very easy to conceal and reliable as the day is long. My personal one is a Taurus 85. Feed it with 158 HPSWC in a +P loading and at its effective range it will take care of you.

We are talking defense here rather than structured competition. Do you need 45 rds and a couple of reloads to deter some goon or just something that makes a nice loud bang and a big enough hole and know that that bang will sound every time (up to five) that you pull the trigger. If five won't do it then the perp is too far away.

7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

a 3" Taurus 357 magnum Revolver on the nightstand and a S&W Airlight PD 38 special Snubbie Revolver in a pocket holster.

The snubbie because it is easy to conceal and carry and the 357 because it is inherently safer than my Glock when you are stunned out of a deep sleep by a "bump in the night" and fumbing for the pistol.

8. SARG

SARG Member

Funny .... I voted semi ...... because I carry that on duty ........ but most of the time I have the 36 or 60 with me......... and now that I think about it I recently put a 36 in the cupboard to replace a Firestar 40 ... and in the bedroom replaced a G22 with a snub 19.

So now I'm scratching my own head.

9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I voted semi-auto because I"m a better shot with a semi-auto. I've fired revolvers and was not very accurate with them. I have confidence in my ability to hit a target with my P99. I may not be able to put 15 rounds through a perp's eye with it, but I know I can double tab a couple three rounds in his center of mass if need be.

10. I've always had somewhat mixed feelings on this issue. The majority of the time I carry an auto, usually a Glock 26. There are a significant number of times, however, when I will opt for a .38 snubbie, usually one of my Smith 637s. Both designs have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the autos for their greater ammo capacity and the ease with which they can be reloaded. For reliability though, I've always felt the revolver must get the nod over the auto. Modern autos are indeed pretty darn reliable, yet if they do jam, it is much more complex process to clear them.

11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

So, straight away, more support for the wheel gun that might have been expected. I have carried them and while I prefer an automatic, admit there is something comforting in the wheel gun, I think the word I am searching for is reliability.

You know even for someone who has trained on and used semi autos a fair amount, the phrase 'six for sure' still has a comforting ring to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  12. SARG

SARG Member

Bravo ........ simplicity & reliability. And sometimes it's a comfort to realize you need to "work" with the double action triggerpull.

13. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I am partial to semi-auto's for slimness, magazine capacity and magazine changes.

I would never say never though.

14. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Well I had to go with a revolver because there is less to go wrong. It is also much simpler for my wife to use. I tried training her in an auto but she just wants to point and shoot and not worry about a slide and racking a round in before you shoot. I probably own an equal amount of both.

15. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

like has been said before... a wheel gun has less moving parts. thus, they are easier to operate and maintain. but, for the urban environment i would have to go with a semi-auto. usually, depending on which semi-auto you carry, you will have one or two more rounds if they are needed. another reason i choose semi-auto for ccw in urban terrain is because reloads are easier to carry than those for revolvers. yes...some may be able to reload a revolver in the same length of time as it takes for a semi-auto...but, a flat rectangular magazine is much easier to carry and hide than a moon clip speedloader. ....my vote goes for a compact semi-auto:cool: