Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I'm circulating this question around a few gun forums. I'm looking for the most consistent results. But also I'm very interested to hear everyone's whys & why nots.

I'm looking to be spending a few months in Alaska, I'll be staying in a cabin about 6 or so miles out of town.

Considering the some what non-people friendly wild life there. (Bear, Moose, Mad Trappers,o_O Sasquatch;)lol)

What rifle should I take with me. I'm allowed to pack 1 rifle, and a supply of ammo. I have already selected a sidearm and ammo for this trip.

Please tell me what would be your pick, and your reasons for why or why not.
I'll be using the rifle for general defense and take along on occasional walks in the woods. I'm not planning any actual hunting trips.

Here are my available options:
(all rifle on this list are semi-auto only!)
(None of these rifles will have optics, just the standard iron sights common to the specific model listed.)
(all rifles would primarily be firing ball/fmj ammo, with the only exception of the M1 Garand which has a small supply of Hornady A-MAX M1 Garand ammo available.

1) Full sized AR15 in either A1 or A2 style configuration caliber 5.56NATO
(using either USGI Surplus Mags, or Pmags - Capacity 30 rds.)

2) M1A Springfield Armory Standard model in caliber 7.62NATO
(with Polymer mossy oak stock. Using standard USGI mags capacity 20 rds.)

3) DSA SA58 Metric in caliber 7.62NATO
(with some L1A1 features & Belgian style rear sights L1A1 features include barrel length &
muzzle break, safety, and mag catch)(using surplus Israeli metric mags capacity 20 rds.)

4) WASR10 in caliber 7.62x39mm
(using Tapco mags capacity 30 rds.)

5) M1 Garand caliber .30-06
(with USGI Polymer furniture, that's been camouflaged)

Further notes on Sidearm for those interested. I'm taking a Glock Gen.3 model 22 full frame in .40 S&W. However I also have caliber conversions for it that allow me to shoot 9mm Parabellum, .357 SIG, and .22 LR. I'm planning to primarily carry it in town in .40 S&W with staggered loads of Winchester Silver tip HP & CCI Speer Gold Dot HP.

However around the cabin or in the woods I'll be carrying it in .357 SIG loaded with Underwood Ammo's load of the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator.

Love them or hate them, you must admit Glocks have a reputation for reliability and I like having the multi-caliber versatility for just one handgun.

·
Registered
21,266 Posts
out of your choices listed, the M1 30.06 is my choice.
I wouldn't normally want something THAT heavy to tote around but the caliber is sufficent to take care of bear and moose should one decide that they do not want you in their space
You gotta be careful... prolonged use of modern hunting ammo in those Garands. The gas system and op rods were designed around miltary ball ammo

Your sidearm is ok for small predators but if a hungry brown bear takes a liking to you, I wouldn't want anything less than 357 Mag loaded with Buffalo Bore 180 grain.
Its about penetration not just unloading into it. If you empty a 9mm magzine into them, they will die at some point, but you have to survive while they are still able to inflict life threatening damage to you

I would prefer 44 Mag or better. I just spent some time in Alaska and researched this alot and when I was there I spoke to alot of locals because I was out in bear country alot.

When I go back, I am taking a 44 Rem Mag with me

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,227 Posts
+ 1 for the M-1, because bear, moose and Sasquatch will just get P.O.'d at the smaller less powerful rounds.

·
Registered
749 Posts
M1 Garand 30'06
-smaller number of parts to malfunction
-ease of field stripping
-wide variety of bullet weights can accompany it and provide range of versatility
-can withstand high level of abuse
You didn't say anything about the optics on it........I'd choose standard rear aperture sights

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
IMHO, I'd go for the DSA. Swap out the FMJ ammo for something with an expanding bullet. Anything you may have to use it on won't be able to tell the difference between that and a 30-06 round.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I have to agree on the Garand because a .30-06 is the SMALLEST caliber I'd consider using up there. I am maybe the World's greatest fan of the M1A (M-14), but where you are going you need bigger. Same goes for the .30-06 - I am a major fan of that caliber, but where you are headed a .30-06 is like showing up at your buddy's house for a brewski and a Patriots Game while wearing a Tutu.

FMJ ammo is fantastic battle ammo. Not so much for Griz. Using suitable Griz ammo in a Garand is dicey for the bear, the rifle and for you. FMJs are designed to poke clean little holes in 150-200 pound people per the Rules of Modern Warfare. That won't much impress anything that has a mind to have YOU for dinner.

As far as the side arm caliber, don't even blink at the thought of anything less than a .44 Magnum.

If it were me, I'd get that .44 Magnum, preferably an older Ruger Blackhawk, then I'd do some serious searching for a .300 Winchester Magnum or larger (I used to have a sporterized 1917 Enfield in .458 Win Mag that would have been a dandy for what you are planning).

If you insist on that Sig (I strongly advise against it), and you plan to mix ammo in the magazine - TEST THE MIX before you go. I've had semi-auto pistols that won't feed/cycle reliably with different ammo mixed in the magazine.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Since you don't list a bear caliber I'd go with the M1A. The 7.62 is slightly less powerful than the 30-06 and a bit less versatile in terms of available bullet weights but that Springfield is very reliable and is less valuable than the Garand in case something happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you don't list a bear caliber I'd go with the M1A. The 7.62 is slightly less powerful than the 30-06 and a bit less versatile in terms of available bullet weights but that Springfield is very reliable and is less valuable than the Garand in case something happens.
OK I didn't list a bear caliber, what do you consider as a "Bear" caliber?

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
OK I didn't list a bear caliber, what do you consider as a "Bear" caliber?
For black bears both the .30 calibers you list are ok. But you're talking about Alaska. If you are shooting Grizzlies, in my opinion you need a lot more firepower. I'd set the minimum at a 300 mag and I'd be way more comfortable with a .338.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,246 Posts
45-70 lever gun.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I vote 30.06 because there is nothing in the lower 48 (I know you said Alaska, getting there) that a 30.06 will not stop and everywhere I have ever been looking at ammo, there is a bigger selection of 30.06 than any other caliber.

In Alaska . . . well, never been there but my college roommate who was from Juno claimed (1) he could cut Alaska in half and make Texas the 3rd largest state - I told him Texas would be the only place to buy a chain saw big enough for the job; and (2) an Alaskan Grizzly can take a 30 cal to the chest and still run full speed for several minutes before loosing enough blood to stop - I had no come back for that second claim, which if true, nothing on your list is quite enough for critters you may meet up there but based on my impressions and the wide selection and readily available supply of 30.06 ammo, plus the opinion that you are substantially more likely to befriend a reloader and discover he has dies and powder for 30.06 than not, I vote 30.06. My old roommate also made some outlandish claims about the mosquitos in Alaska, which if true would add one more reason for taking a 30.06.

Reactions: carver

·
Super Moderator
38,385 Posts
I think the same way Broot does!!

Reactions: Broot

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,246 Posts
A 4 or 6 shot 45-70 lever gun will be shorter, lighter and certainly more up to the job than the m1 30-06.

Heck, the Marlin 1895CB has a 9 shot tubular magazine, and weighs over 2 lbs less than an m1 Garand (empty, of course).

Reactions: carver

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Hey a .22 will kill a grizzly. It just isn't what I want to shoot one with.

I have not hunted grizzly. My opinion comes from hunting moose in Alaska several times in grizzly country. I was using a 300 Win Mag with 200 grain Barnes TSX's, but I wasn't hunting bears.

I have never seen a guide carrying a 30-06. I recall seeing a 450 Marlin, a 45/70, a 375 H&H, a 340 Weatherby and a 3" 12 Gauge with slugs.

By the way, my guide on those trips was of the opinion that the .300 Win was the lightest round he liked his clients to use for moose. Big critters can be hard to drop.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
30-06... But I'd want bigger. If you insist on carrying ball ammo, I suggest the shoulder shot. I know, I know. Clean kill, ethics and all. But we aren't talking about hunting. Were talking about you wandering into a bear or moose's home and them not liking it. If they start charging you, you're going to want them to stop short of you bleeding. Best bet would be to bust up the shoulder, they will stop and you can then put them down quicker. Any way you look at it, go out and get good. I don't mean proficient, I mean GOOD that gun. Know every part like it's your lover because it might save your life. And bring plenty of ammunition, because you'll need to practice often enough to keep those skills sharp. But here's the rip, you'll be shooting at a moving target, that's getting bigger, and closer. And it's faster and stronger than you. Be careful brother.

Reactions: joe45c and carver
1 - 20 of 35 Posts