Chris Noel

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx Active Member

lilmiss73
    (9/18/02 7:22:50 am)
    Reply Chris Noel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys,
    I bought a book called A Matter of Survival a few days ago. It's an autobiography by Chris Noel..She had radio and TV broadcasts in Vietnam, was wondering if anyone listened to her show or knew who she was? Any stories? I really like to read your stories.
    Thanks,
    Melissa

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/18/02 8:57:55 am)
    Reply Re: Chris Noel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wish I could help ya out here Melissa but the name does'nt ring a bell with me right off hand. Course I spent most of my time out in the boonies and we did'nt get much time for any radio traffic such as this as "Charles" would have heard us and thats a no-no.

What little radio I do remember hearing while back in the rear was the Armed Forces Radio Network which I believe was out of Saigon and then of course our favorite lady from Hanoi would chime in with her wit occassionally.

Generally ... she knew more than what we (the troops) did and knew where we were going and what we would be doing before we would even be briefed ... Go figure huh?

Maybe when the Chief (Wilborn) gets back he might have some info for you on this individual ...

Six

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/18/02 9:07:44 am)
    BTW ... Forgot to mention but it sounds like it might be a good read simply from the title. Keep us posted on its contents ...

Six

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/02 2:26:29 am)
    Chris Noel taped a radio show for the vets. It was played on Radio Danang for I Corps. It was called "Hi I Corps!
    She would open the show with the greeting Hi! I Corps! It was great to hear on those miserable monsoon nights in the highlands. It had special meaning for those of us stuck on those godforsaken mountain tops near Laos. She played a selection of top 40 hits from the states. It was censored but it was better than AFR programming. For many of our brothers, hers was the last American Women they ever heard.
    I heard her in the winter of 67/68. Please remember that in those ancient times, most of AFR was devoted to country music. It was controlled by lifers and the younger guys didn't like it much. Country music then was a lot different than country music now.
    We would hoard our precious D cell batteries so we could hear Chris. If we were on bunker duty, several bunkers could pool their D cells to get enough juice to play a radio very softly in a safe area. She was a raving beauty too> She made a lot of guest apearances for the USO, a real patriot in every way.
    Postwar she had fallen on hard times like many vets and had some recovery problems. She has now opened a halfway house for Viet Vets in Florida. I love her still.
    Thank You Chris -- you helped some of us to make it through the our darkest night.
    Mike

lilmiss73
    (9/19/02 8:10:58 am)
    Reply Chris Noel
    Mike, alot of guys really loved her and still do. I think she's great, not only did she help boost morale during the war she's still helping out like you said.
    In the book she said the guys called her "Miss Christmas" and "MOM" she said "mom" was probley because she was sometimes saying don't do this....watch out for that.... be on your guard, lol, in her letters from the guys most of them would end "THANKS MOM!"
    I thought the book was really very good. I also found her website if any of you want to take a look it's www.chrisnoel.com
    Thanks Mike for your story.

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/19/02 4:16:57 pm)
    Thanks for the link lilmiss -- I appreciate it.
    Mike

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (9/24/02 7:07:41 am)
    Mikes right Lilmiss---most of the old lifers listened to the country music--even though they sang thru their noses, you could understand the words and not just the yelling. My S-2 yeoman (clerk) Jimmy Walker, listened to that other brand of noise---. This is Chief Wilborn who Gunner mentioned may have heard of Chris---yeah, it was from DaNang---her broadcasts reached up north to the DMZ where I was the first time in-country so I suppose many men named Charlie listened also---she was a pleasant sounding lady---but any time one is out of circulation for the duration, any American female voice is welcome---even Phyliss Diller!!! Best regards--stay on board---we will write a story to your likeing if you do--promise!!! wilborn

lilmiss73
    (9/24/02 2:03:15 pm)
    Chief--Thanks for replying, your post gave me a chuckle
    I'm definitely going to stick around, great bunch of people here!
    Melissa