The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Deer Stalker
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's been my range buddy along with the oldest son since they were kids but the oldest son was the hunter.

Out of the blue, the youngest (pictured, now 22) said he wants to go deer and elk hunting after he tagged along with a hunting party in Colorado while in his senior year of college. He'll have to wait until next fall though.

So, the local LGS, small shop, really nice owner, had this new in box Winchester M70 Sporter (Made in USA Win) 30-06 marked down to $599, one tiny nick in the stock. I had him put it on hold until today and when my youngest son flew in today we went over to the gun shop and picked it up.

I got Leupold rings on the way and will probably put one of my old scopes on it so he can shoot it this week. We'll get him a nice scope for his graduation present in May when he earns his business degree. And it needs a sling.

In November, he got his first AR15 for his birthday so today was a big day for him when he got to unwrap both his Ruger .223 and his Winchester 30-06!

·
Super Moderator
39,170 Posts
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to youngest son. Better check that dust cover, looks like a little rust on it!

·
GUNZILLA
6,243 Posts
My favorite caliber is the 06. Tell your son not to get discouraged if the rifle does not like light bullets like 150 grainers or heavier bullets like 180's or above. My experience with my rifles point that they love 165 to 178 grainers. Congratulations and Merry Christmas to your son.

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Welllll...congrats to your son....and you!!

Mak, take a look at Levy's for a sling. They make nice stuff.

Rifle Slings Archives - Levy's Outdoor

These one is REALLY nice. If you've never tried a woven sling, they're a treat. Well horse manure, the page won't load. In the menu where you can choose the material check the cotton box. Most comfortable slings I've ever used and, they stay PUT!

·
Deer Stalker
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My favorite caliber is the 06. Tell your son not to get discouraged if the rifle does not like light bullets like 150 grainers or heavier bullets like 180's or above. My experience with my rifles point that they love 165 to 178 grainers. Congratulations and Merry Christmas to your son.
Lucky for him, I load 165 gr and 178 gr 30-06 rounds for my Rem 700

·
Deer Stalker
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welllll...congrats to your son....and you!!

Mak, take a look at Levy's for a sling. They make nice stuff.

Rifle Slings Archives - Levy's Outdoor

These one is REALLY nice. If you've never tried a woven sling, they're a treat. Well horse manure, the page won't load. In the menu where you can choose the material check the cotton box. Most comfortable slings I've ever used and, they stay PUT!
Those are nice slings! Thanks for the link, Vic!

·
Super Moderator
26,335 Posts
Congrats to your son. And Happy birthday.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well done Sir. Very nice.

I shipped my Son in CO. a Win. 1300 Defender 12ga Riot Pump (NIB) from my safe about a mo. ago.

He was wanting me to help him select and purchase something for Home protection. Knowing what I have in my safe, and not wanting to overpay in todays market (especially Riot pumps) I elected to gift him one of mine. Shipped it to an FFL he chose near him, in a hard case with a new sheathed Bear Gyll's (sp?) Gerber survival knife.

He was way happy, as I am sure your Son is as well.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,302 Posts
Well done. That's getting him a good start on his gun collection.

Reactions: Big Mak
1 - 15 of 15 Posts