Chromium Oxide onto Leather Strop How To

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by ozdude, Dec 31, 2019.

1. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Whenever I have someone in my shop that's into knives or otherwise into sharpening tools and they start looking at my assortment of stones and what have yous and they see one of my strops they will always ask me - how do you get your chromium oxide so neatly and with such full coverage onto your strop? If you've ever rubbed a chromium oxide block onto a piece of leather you will know the problem. Well I had someone else ask me again yesterday so I thought that would be something interesting to share on this forum for those that don't know.
    Scrape some chromium oxide with a sharpish tool off the block so that you have a small handful. Pour a small amount of turpentine (mineral spirits) into a small bowl and mix the chromium oxide with the turpentine. Using something like a 1" brush, paint the solution onto the leather. Don't worry if all of the oxide hasn't dissolved, as long as you have a green soup that will do. Wait around five minutes and scrape the excess off the strop with a knife and you're done.
    strop.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

That's cool. I usually heat up my compound bar and then rub on the strop, but this green one doesn't coat as well as the red. I'll try your technique next time. :cool:

Kvasir and ozdude like this.

3. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what most people do and works to some degree.

4. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I learn something new every time I log in.
    I've been shaving with a straight razor for 35 years, and never added anything to the strop.
    If it was good enough for great grandpa, (still using his razor stone) it's good enough for me.
    ;)

ozdude likes this.
  5. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

A straight leather strop will work just fine Kvasir, I have some strops with nothing on them which i prefer to just to remove the burr with when sharpening. Chromium oxide (traditional medium) on a strop will achieve that mirror edge.

Kvasir likes this.
  6. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Thanks. I didn't have anybody to teach me when I first started using a straight razor.
    At 18 I couldn't afford the cost of disposable razors, and bought my first. Grandma heard and gave me her father's razor stone that she saved.
    It was a bit of trial and error from there.

ozdude likes this.
  7. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

I have yet to master the straight razor :yikes:
    razor.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    sparkyv likes this.
  8. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Pass. I wouldn't risk it for the biscuit.

Bigdog357 and ozdude like this.