The Firearms Forum banner

Chrono-How Far??

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Texxut 
#1 ·
We were sitting around having some brewskis last night,solving the world's problems,when one of the guys pops up with-_"How far to you put your chrono from muzzle"-5 people 4 answers-we all agreed on 5ft on .22-then the fun began-7--12--15(mine)--21ft.........Is their a definite foot from muzzle???We are all using various Chronys and 1 has a Oehler too.

#7 ·
I've got an 18' cable on my Shooting Chrony, and the manual says to set it up 15' from the muzzle. That's where I set mine up regardless of what caliber I running across it.

I do remember the old Oehler manual had assorted differences listed too. IIRC, these are minimum recommended distances to keep the screens away from the muzzle blast.

#9 ·
7 mag, 30-378, ect sends error at 17 feet on mine. You have to make a blast board, 2 foot square board with 2 inch hole in center. Line up board at about 10 foot so when you shoot from bench, bullet goes through 2 inch hole on it's way to target. Not that hard to do. We have shot hundreds of times and nobody has not made it through the hole yet hit the board, but I figure one of the Indians will eventually do it. Plexiglass works better, but plywood is cheaper.

Owner of CED told me to do this and it worked for me.

#10 ·
mine said something like 7' for pistol, 12' for rifle and 15' for shotgun?

shotgun is the trickiest, gotta run that sucker accross the chrony before the shot and wad start separating or shot spread. All the while staying far enough to not blow up your chrony.

I should put a string on mine to measure accurately.

Would be fun to build a steel plate with a hole so you could test it at longer range without blowing up the chrony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.