The Firearms Forum banner

Cimarron revolver quality

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Snake Pleskin 
#1 ·
I've never had or even handled one of these but just got word of one for sale locally for cheap. Word form anyone with experience would be appreciated before I go to take a look tomorrow. The owner isn't even aware of which model it is, only that it is a case hardened or case colored frame.

#4 ·
My Uberti/Cimarron was made in 2000. The colors have faded but it's still going strong. I got it used from a CAS shooter and I shot CAS with it. The springs have been replaced with Wolff springs is the only thing done to it other than the grips. You can see the wedge for the firing pin block under the firing pin. It has four clicks just like the real thing.

#7 ·
Not gonna be able to get this after all. Got an apologetic call late last night from the guy who inherited it. His nephew let him know he wanted it so that's where it went. I have no issue with keeping guns in the family. My son will never let go of what he ends up with and neither will his daughters. My daughter on the other hand, who knows. 🤷‍♂️

#8 ·
I have a Cimmarron Pistolero 10rd .22lr. Beautiful pistol and was fine for a year. Made by Pietta. Transfer bar broke, so I sent it back. Got it back, first time I used it. all spent shells were stuck in the cylinder. Had to actually hammer them out ! I Sent it in to Cimarron in May of this year. Still dont have it back ! Weirdly...this gun ran well before I sent it in for the transfer bar, and it had a lot of rounds through it. Was initially going to invest in one of the large bore versions, but Im pretty sure I wont be buying anything from Cimarron anytime soon.

#9 ·
I don’t buy import reproductions but the last time I noticed they are close to the price of a Ruger SA.
There is no doubt the Ruger line of SAs are the best ever built, re-engineered Colts. There are other manf of lesser volume that are further refinements. If I am going to shoot it I’ll buy new Ruger, although would rather have Colt or old 3screw Rugers.

#13 ·
The old Blackhawks were like silk on roller bearings. As far as strength the New Models are the same. Because of what you mentioned about not being a Colt is why the New Vaqueros are not as strong. Ruger whittled them down to Colt look alikes. Thus they don’t have the strength of the Blackhawks.
This to me is no big deal. They claim a Japanese Arisaka is stronger than a 98 Mauser. Who cares, I never spent a cent getting a rifle made up on an ugly Arisaka. Most guys that play with Colt SAA repros are not shooting the heaviest load they can cram down the pipe anyway, so that’s not an issue.
So in closing I agree a Ruger is not a Colt, but the new Vaquero is as strong as a Colt.

#14 ·
Taylors, Cimmarron, and Uberti USA import about the same mdls. Uberti USA only handles Uberti the others carry the other Italian made. The Uberti's cost more. Sometimes you have to dig deep in a ad or listing to find who made it - manf mdl no will tell you. Uberti makes 3 SAA copys - cattleman = like orginal, new cattleman = long cly pin to act like hammer inable, and cattleman 2 = pin inside the hammer that prevents hammer pin from going out far enough to dent the primer. The one with the long cly pin is the only one that.looks different. All are 4 click "C-O-L-T" accept the cattleman 2 which is 3 clicks. You can carry 6 rounds on the 2 mdl and the new mdl has the pin safety that has to be moved before it will fire if you engauge it.

Reactions: ysacres
#16 ·
I had a 44 Mag super Blackhawk back in the 80's for about a week. Took it back. Full house loads were too much for me. Mid 80's bought a Colt SAA. Been a Colt single action guy ever since. I have 3 Hartford models & will pick up my third Colt SAA next week. If I were going to hunt big game with a revolver, I might go a different direction, but I plan on some revolver hunting towards the end of this deer season. Either Colt or Uberti revolvers, 357 or 45LC.

Tire Sky Automotive lighting Car Hood

Lighting up the night with a hot 45LC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.