The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing a Cimmaron Firearms SAA .45 Long Colt replica but I know nothing of the manufacturer in terms of product quality. Would appreciate any input in terms of fit and finish, accuracy, reliability and the like.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
I had one a a decade or two ago, They are manufactured by Uberti and I believe the final finish is done by Cimmaron. Fit and finish on mine was decent enough and it shot decently well. I ended up trading it to an FFL dealer for a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt as the Ruger fit my hand better and was more comfortable for me to shoot. Getting more in trade than I paid for it on a NIB Ruger for the SAA clone was a bonus, otherwise I probably would have kept it and had two .45 Colt revolvers.

I think you'll be satisfied with it or with a Uberti branded SAA replica. Like I said the only reason mine went away was because an FFL dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :)

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
I had one for a short while, traded into it. Shot it quite a bit and enjoyed it. It wasn't the most accurate gun I ever shot but that could have been me! The same guy I got it from traded me out of it, cause he "missed it".

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
My '73 Winchester clone is a Cimarron and also by Uberti. That rifle is a shooter with smokeless or BP. I don't believe I'd hesitate to buy one of their revolvers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my 1st cimarron saa revolver last week...their entry level 'Pistolero' in .38s/.357 mag. I am well pleased. Nice heft to it. Nice case hardened finish. It is quite a looker. Have shot it once...30 rounds. No issues. (( I have a 1940 Walther Pp 7.65mm(Tyrolean eagle stamped) that my dad brought home from the war, which i consider a true functional work of Art (i fire it regularly) and the Cimarron looks great next to it !!! ))

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
The couple of them that I've handled and shot were reasonably accurate and seemed well built. I had a preconceived notion that they were cheaply built imports until I actually had one in my hands. Nothing at all wrong with them, nice guns IMO.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a half dozen Uberti made 73 rifles from cimarron and once purchased a set of 44-40 pistols one of which had a 45 Colt barrel on it. I understand some of Cimarron’s stuff is now made by Pietta I don’t know about their quality but they once stamped proof marks and other junk all over the frame and barrel rendering the pistol ugly. I should think Cimarron has taken care of that issue. One of my 73 carbines had a problem locking up when loaded, I sent it to Cimarron three times and they never fixed it, sent it to a gunsmith in So Cal and for $40 it ran like it was supposed to and still does thousands of rounds later.

·
Premium Member
17,515 Posts
My '73 Winchester clone is a Cimarron and also by Uberti. That rifle is a shooter with smokeless or BP. I don't believe I'd hesitate to buy one of their revolvers.
I also have a Cimarron '73 clone in .45 colt. Well built and great shooter. They have hide most of the Italian proof marks. I think the only proof marks that can be seen are under the lever.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Joe, I was referring to the Pietta handguns, the Uberti‘s from Cimarron be it rifle or pistol are normally excellent quality and proof marks unobtrusive. I have not seen one of their Pietta handguns.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Pietta's are good. The Great Western II has a four click hammer with a hammer mounted firing pin and no hammer block safety like Uberti has so it's a more faithful repro.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Some 25+ years ago I bought one of those Italian SSA clones (EMF Artillery SA in 45LC). The magazine writers were amazed at the level of fit and finish and how closely it matched the real Colt SSA. It did look good but….

All edges were sharp unlike a real Cot and the thing shot to one side. I tried indexing the barrel and bending the sight but it was just not enough to get to point of aim. I buy guns for appearance and for target shooting. A gun that shoots off point of aim is problematical for me. Sold it.

I also have an Uberti Winchester Model 1873 clone. It too is beautiful but…. The bore has a tight spot easily felt with a cleaning patch on a cleaning rod under where the cut was made for the rear sight. It shoots OK but I know the barrel is damaged and it bothers me. I have not sold it YET.

The bottom line is I’ll not be buying anymore Italian clone guns! You, of course, can if you want.

LDBennett

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Funny that my Ruger Bisley Vaquero does shoot to point of aim even though it is a fixed sighted gun. To be clear the EMF even with my massive adjustments still did not shoot to point of aim. In my opinion, and yours my vary, a new gun should not need such huge sight modifications if the gun is fixed sighted. The gun had an issue with the barrel which may have been the indexing of the barrel to get the sights to the top. My point: The Italian clones I have bought suffered quality issues.

LDBennett

·
Registered
17,019 Posts
For years I read how single action revolvers almost all shot low and left. The shooting left could be corrected by turning the barrel slightly to the left. No one seemed to know why the factory could not get the barrel lined up, but they all were like that.

The reason the gun shot low was intentional. They made the front sight too high, so that the gunshot low, so that you could file the front sight down to bring the point of impact up.

That almost kinda/sorta made sense.

Until I got to thinking about my fixed sighted Smith & Wesson double-action revolvers, and how they all shot to point of aim. No having to twist the barrel in a route to get the sight lined up. No having to file on the front sight. The gun shot point of aim.

True, it only shot point of aim with one load, but it was with the standard load for the gun. A Smith & Wesson M&P, or a J frame Chief's Special, shot to point of aim with 158 grain bullet at about 850 ft per second. why is it so difficult to make a Single Action Army that shoots to point of aim with a 255 grain bullet at 850 ft per second? That's a standard 45 Colt load.

I find that quite frustrating.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I've had two Uberti 1873 clones. One a Cimarron import I still have. Both of mine shot to POA with the exception of shooting low but Uberti leaves the front sight tall so you can file it down to fit your load. I have had fixed sight Rugers that shot off to one side. I didn't keep them long because I don't like Ruger lock work. I have Uberti and Pietta cap and ball revolvers that shoot to POA with the exception of shooting high but that's because the originals they were copied from were sighted in at 75 yards. I'm not going to ditch a gun because it does't shoot to POA but then using Kentucky windage doesn't bother me in the slightest. Once I know where it shoots I can group right there with guns that do shoot to POA.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Alpo:

Exactly right! I did the recommended barrel re-indexing and even bent the sight and never got the gun to shot at point of aim. Wrong Load? NO! Standard load. Just poor quality control by the Italians! I wonder if original Colts or even newer ones have the same problem with the failure to shoot to the point of aim??

I own several S&W revolvers but they all have adjustable sights so I can not comment on the fixed sighted ones. My new CZ Tactical Sport (9mm Semi-auto) with fixed sights shot to the point of aim right out of the box. It is possible to make fixed sighted guns that shoot to the point of aim but maybe not if the quality control is not there.

LDBennett

·
Registered
17,019 Posts
I wonder if original Colts or even newer ones have the same problem with the failure to shoot to the point of aim??
The first I heard of this problem was some 20 years or more ago, where an article by Mike Venturino was talking about Bocephus doing that to a brand new Single Action Army.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Alpo:
I wonder if original Colts or even newer ones have the same problem with the failure to shoot to the point of aim??
I shot a good many original SAA's when I was a pre teen and yeah some of them shot to POA and some of them didn't.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts