clarification on the MAS 49/56 please

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/02 4:00:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    clarification on the MAS 49/56 please
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    heres the discrephanse(sp?) the MAS has a muzzle break/flash suppressor looking muzzle.... now ive read somewhere that it is most definatly NOT a flash suppressor, and that it IS a muzzle break.. i constantly hear nd read it being refered to as a flash hider... as well as hearing it refered to as a muzzle break.. what gives?? it cant be 2 things at once can it??? can anyone cite some documented proof that the muzzle on a MAS 49/56 is either a mb or a fs??
    thanks in advance, Ray in California
    "Beware the man with only one gun, chances are he KNOWS how to use it."

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/27/02 5:31:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: clarification on the MAS 49/56 please
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In today's politically correct marketplace, it is correctly identified as a muzzle break. Since "flash suppressor" is an evil and nasty no-no name according to the BATF "Big Book of Nonsensical Firearms Interpretations - Agency Issue Only", all appurtanances attached to the ends of military rifles are hereafter correctly identified as muzzle breaks in order to be importable. It might so happen that it does suppress some of the flash also, but that is only a secondary function.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

open bolt
    (9/27/02 7:55:37 pm)
    It is also a grenade launcher and therefore not legal on a rifle in the PRK. If you want to have the rifle in the PRK it must be removed and not brought into the state. That is why I had to move mine out of the state.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/28/02 12:10:58 am)
    Hey, OpenBolt -

A big WELCOME to the forum. Be sure to jump in on the other topic forums, as well - we enjoy newcomers here!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/02 2:06:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: clarification on the MAS 49/56 please
    Bob in St. Louis said : "In today's politically correct marketplace, it is correctly identified as a muzzle break. Since "flash suppressor" is an evil and nasty no-no name according to the BATF "Big Book of Nonsensical Firearms Interpretations - Agency Issue Only", all appurtanances attached to the ends of military rifles are hereafter correctly identified as muzzle breaks in order to be importable. It might so happen that it does suppress some of the flash also, but that is only a secondary function. "

the part about appurtanances (i cant even pronounce that word) attatched to the ends of military rifles are hereafter correctly identified as muzzle breaks in order to be importable... now this brings up a whole host of questions for me... does that mean that a flash hider cone on the end of a jungle carbine is now a muzzle break? and the good old garand with its bird cage flash hider is now a muzzle break?? or putting a top end on an AR-15 that has a bird cage style flash suppressor is now a muzzle break?? I am not trying to be an A-hole with my questions, it just has confused me to a degree, and im trying to understand... i mean i thought i knew what a flash hider looked like.. but all appurtanances attatched to the ends of military rifles is rather broad and has thrown me for a loop.. i do appreciate the help, and reading what i have wrote my words do not sound very nice or sincere, but i cant think of another way to word my questions.. im not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to clarify.. thanks again.. Ray in California

ps.. the grenade launcher system can all be removed except for that flapper valve, you need that if you dont want a single shot rifle... lol although i do think the grenade launcher site law in Kalifornia is a joke.. rotflmao where am i going to get a rifle grenade??? Wal-Mart??? lmao

open bolt
    (9/28/02 2:47:27 am)
    Where to find a rifle grenade, try a good surplus store or www.bigskysurplus.com
    You don't know recoil until you've shot a few of those from your shouldwe using a car15. Don't try it without collapsing the stock first or it will collapse it for you.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/28/02 5:12:31 am)
    Actually I was funnin' with ya, but sadly, there is some truth to the matter. How do you define where a "Muzzle Break" is no longer a muzzle break, and more a flash hider, or vice-versa? This is just another grey area in the laws, subject to individual interpretation by the BATF.

It is just safer these days to say "Muzzle Break"
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/28/02 7:51:26 am)
    what bob is saying is yes it is a flash suppresser , but if you want to keep it ,call it a muzzle break , because flash suppressers are illegal

now some people realize this , and when selling or advertising a weapon , will refer to it as a muzzle break , and those that don't really care or try to make the weapon sound more appealing will call it a flash suppresser

not to confuse you anymore but , if you have a identical pre-ban weapon feel free to call it a flash suppressor

CaliCollector
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/02 4:31:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: clarification on the MAS 49/56 please
    Bob, Gp, Open.,,, thanks guys.... i appreciate the info.... lol was just joking about the rifle grenade though... Ray in California