clark recoil spring plug

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by killorbekilled, May 12, 2018.

1. killorbekilled

killorbekilled New Member

Anyone familiar with these for the Colt Officer model? Consensus seems to indicate that they are prone to breakage so I ordered a more robust one from Clark Custom Guns. However, I'm not sure I chose the right one. The choices were: No hole. .257 hole or .333 hole. I thought it was related to a full size guide rod so I picked "no hole" as mine is a double spring with that short guide. What hole are they talking about? The inner dia of my plug is .450. So I'm not sure what they mean. Any info appreciated.

carver likes this.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

3. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

This is what I could find on it, maybe it makes sense to you.

"What you'll need to measure is the inside diameter of the OEM plug; the choices are 0.257" or 0.333". The replacement plug can be had with or without a hole in the end. The ones with are for use with their two-piece full length guide rod, but can be made to work with an 11mm washer to keep the inner recoil spring from popping out."

carver and joe45c like this.
  4. killorbekilled

Less then before. "Two piece full length guide rod"? Maybe they mean dual springs? The inside dia on my plug is .450. Maybe the mean the diameter of a full length guide rods. Mine is the short about 1in long guide rod. Well, we will see. I sent them an email about an hour after I placed the order and will call them Mon when they open.

carver likes this.
  5. killorbekilled

After further study I think I know. I put 2&2 together and got 4. Most times I get 5 or 3 but I think I'm ok this time. The hole dia is referring to a plug used with a full guide rod as the rod has to protrude thru the plug when recoiling. As I have the short 1in guide rod I don't need one with the hole in the front. For dummies like me their description should have been worded "guide rod hole". LOL.

carver and vassago like this.
  6. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

Makes a lot more sense indeed.

carver likes this.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A 1911 with a full length rod is a PITA to field strip. A "2-piece" rod unscrews in the middle.

You unscew it and take the front piece out the guide rod hole. The back piece is now the same size as the standard GI piece, and the gun field strips just like they teach you in basic.

[​IMG]

The front end (at least, on mine) has an allen wrench hole. You stick the wrench in the hole, tighten it so it don't come apart while shooting, or loosen it so you can unscrew it with your fingers.

carver and killorbekilled like this.
  8. killorbekilled

Before I hit the range I'm waiting for my Clark plug to come in. I want everything in place when I wring it out. While I'm waiting I've been analyzing a few things. Does anybody think that the rim on the Clark plug will shorten the slide stroke and maybe cause a problem? Haven't read anything about it but just wondering.

carver likes this.
  9. Shooter45

Do you really think Jim Clark would produce and sell something
    that would cause a problem ? You seem to be worrying about
    a 1911 that seems to be working fine. Give it a chance. When it gives
    a problem, we can help you fix it. Until then just enjoy what you have.

rawright54, carver and vassago like this.
  10. killorbekilled

No disrespect intended. I am not into 1911's that much and am not familiar with all the companies that deal with them. I never heard of the Clark co before this. As I mentioned before I'm just trying to get a little heads up before hand. I figured maybe someone had a some experience with the plug so if there was a problem I had some direction as to what it might be.

carver likes this.
  11. Shooter45

Jim Clark was a good gunsmith. Google him. Also, Wilson Combat has good parts and
    probably about the best 1911 mags on the market. Metalform runs a close second for less $$.
    I'd suggest buying a new Wilson or Metalform magazine asap as most 1911 problems are mag related
    You probably should have started with a full sized 1911 as your first. Nothing wrong with the Officers Model but not much fun at the range.
    The 1911 is a great platform for custom work with plenty of parts available. Lots of Youtube videos to teach installing parts.
    So, have fun with your new hobby and watch your 1911 collection grow. And it will. No one has just one 1911.

rawright54 and carver like this.
  12. killorbekilled

First one that came along in my price range that looks in good condition. I may use as a carry piece if I like how she does at the range. Being retired on a fixed income does not allow a lot of discretionary income for ammo and range time. LOL.

carver likes this.
  13. Shooter45

I can relate to that.
    We have a gun shop with a layaway plan
    that a lot of folks use.
    I reload so I'm able to shoot all I want.
    The Officers Model is a great carry gun.

carver likes this.
  14. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I'm with shooter45 on this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I believe the hole in the reverse plug is there so you can insert something like a paper clip, and take down in one piece. The part you ordered from Clark will serve you well. However, some fitting might be necessary. I have several hand guns that have been worked over by Clark's Custom Guns. They are less than 50 miles from where I live. I'm still carrying a 1911A1 that Jim Clark built for me about 30 years ago.

rawright54 and gwpercle like this.