Cleanest shooting .22LR ammo ? ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by one eye joe, Apr 12, 2009.

1. one eye joe

one eye joe New Member

In your experience, what has been the cleanest shooting .22 LR ammo that you have used ? ? I'm shooting a 10 shot, S&W 617 revolver which by design, is particularly prone to accumulating residue. Your suggestions are appreciated...............one eye joe ;)

2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Welcome Joe I also have a 22 pistol that dosent like residue or dirt at all. Recently I bought some Remington golden bullets and CCI Stingers. And they both preformed real well. No problems with jaming or ejection.

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can tell you the dirtiest.

Remington Thunderbolts (used to be Mohawks), followed by Winchester Wildcats.

I think the cleanest I've shot is probably CCI Mini Mags.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I just bought a brick of CCI Blazer .22. I have never used that brand before, but - if they are like their centerfire brothers then they will probably turn out to be the dirtiest.

5. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

The Blazers are pretty dirty, but they shoot pretty trouble free. Thunderbolts are cr@p, jams, failure to fire, nothing but trouble. I have had pretty good luck with Federal Bulk HP seems to be pretty clean. Windchester seems to be a bit dirty too. I will plow through about 200-300 in a visit to the range.

6. RandyP

RandyP Active Member

Since I always clean my handguns after each range trip (great therapy-lol) it doesn't affect me much I reckon. My semi-autos like Federal and Remington copper clad rounds equally well. I agree that the Thunderbolts and other bare lead bullets are mighty dirty things indeed.