The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will either settle a fight or start several. I start by saying I'm a .22 rimfire guy and don't clean my guns except to wipe them down. Shooting solid lead balls with low pressure factory smokeless powder and non-corrosive primer, how much and how often would you clean?

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
I clean all my guns after every shooting session.

If you fail to do it that, often the crud hardens and almost requires scraping to get off.

My situation is probably unlike most as I have many guns. Some only get shot once a year, if that. I never put a dirty gun back into the safe.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I don't clean mine after every use, I don't think that it's necessary. Unless the gun will not be used for an extended period of time. I won't let them go for months without cleaning, but it really depends on use, as far as I'm concerned. The more use a gun gets, the more it gets cleaned. If it's my EDC, then it must work when I need it, so it will get cleaned after each use.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
With .22's I clean after 100 rounds. Or after shooting if more than 100 rounds.
On larger guns, especially handguns, after 50 rounds.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I'm old school and started out cleaning after every use and still do it. Because of various conversations here I have stopped cleaning the bores on my .22 rim fire guns after every use but I still clean the receivers. I saw the effects of a clean bore on accuracy of the .22's and that sold me. But I clean all the other guns as well as is needed each time. Gives me a chance to spend more time with them in between range sessions. My situation doesn't give me the opportunity to shoot again the next day and if I had that opportunity I may not clean.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I keep the recievers and outsides clean after every time shooting.
If I have one that I dont shoot alot, it gets cleaned and to the safe.

As Todd was saying and I agree, I dont clean the bore on the ones I use alot. I've got
.22's that I shoot very often and until the accurcy starts to "give", they stay "fouled".
I usually shoot the same brand /type/ammo in each firearm and if I go from, say lead to
copper, I'll clean them inbetween before shooting.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Having run a gun shop for many years, I am often amused at the idea that a .22 doesn't "need" cleaning.
Of all the .22's that came in for repair, the majority were taken care of with a good cleaning.
It became standard practice to evaluate the gun before and then after cleaning, so as not to waste the smithy's time with a simple fix.
Many .22's are lubricated with a wax, and this builds up after a while, causing trouble with auto's especially, and even revolvers and bolt actions.
Extractor crevices, firing pins and their holes, revolver hands and pawls are just some of the areas that get crudded up and cause trouble.
There is a reason for cleaning kits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.