The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Hoppes # 9 specifically says, "Do not soak nickel-plated firearms in No. 9. Wipe nickel surfaces dry after cleaning".

·
Good times
586 Posts
Soft cloth on the nickel only.Rem oil or any good oil on the inside and wipe clean. I have many nickle guns some are 50 years old and like new. But there are probably other ways too.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Uhh, maybe I should stay out of this.

Nah.

I can tell you how to NOT clean a nickel plated gun
By all means, you may proceed Sir!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
All you need to do is wipe it off with a clean dry towel. I have my dad's nickel Nylon 66 that he bought in the 1960s and it still looks new. It has never seen anything on the nickel parts other than a rags to clean it off.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Leave the Flitz alone. It's abrasive (yes- it says it isn't.)
You can very easily polish through the nickel plating, down to the steel.
Once you have cleaned the gun thoroughly by standard methods, you can put a light coat of wax on the nickel.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Hoppes # 9 specifically says, "Do not soak nickel-plated firearms in No. 9. Wipe nickel surfaces dry after cleaning".
Before the nickle plating is applied, it's copper plated first. IF there is any kind of ding in the nickle, Hoppes will get under it, and dissolve the copper between the steel of the gun, and the nickle. Main reason you see a lot of older guns with the nickle flaking off.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Most factory nickeled guns don't have a copper underplate.
The reason you see older guns with the nickel flaking off is because of bad "bumper chrome" plating jobs that were popular. You would have to literally soak a gun in Hoppes to begin to damage nickel plating through a ding. Used properly, Hoppes won't harm nickel plating at all.
I have nickel plated quite a few guns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts