Cleaning Black Powder Cartridge Guns

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Shrek73, Feb 7, 2020.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Thanks, guys. That's why this is such a great forum. I told you what I do and you supplement my knowledge, give me some real help. I'll have to do some checking on Ballistol and "best firearm oil".

joe45c, Kweeksdraw and Shrek73 like this.
  2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

Checked all of my revolvers that I cleaned with Ballistol last weekend and there are no indications of corrosion or rust. I am sold!

Firpo, Kweeksdraw, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.

3. Dave_T

Dave_T Active Member

Starting back about 1985 I started competing in cowboy action shooting matches (before it became IPSC in boots). Two or three times a month I would shoot two revolvers, a lever action rifle, and a double barreled shotgun with black powder hand loads. When I got home after each match I woulds completely disassemble each gun, clean it with hot soapy water, dry it then spray it down with WD-40 to dispel moisture, and finally wipe off the excess. The guns were all original 19th Century models and in 11 years of that I never found one speck of rust or corrosion.

I got away from CAS and black powder guns until about 2012 or so when I got back into single action revolvers. I don't always shoot black powder but when I do I started using just water to dissolve the BP residue and to scrub the brass. Then I spray/wipe the revolvers down with Ballistol. Works just fine.

Dave

PS: Ballistol works when I shoot smokeless powder as well.

BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.