Cleaning: Hot Water, Ballistol/Moose Milk, MAHP

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by WillieB, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:21 AM.

1. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

So I was going to order a can of Ballistol to clean the new BP revolver. While Googling “Ballistol” to see who had it in stock, I came across a forum discussing various cleaning options.

I have heard about running them through hot water. I knew about Ballistol and “Moose Milk.” The new one on me was a combination of Murphy’s Oil Soap, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I even found a guy who added Murphy’s to his bullet lube.

So is there a “best” cleaning method? Are they all about equal? Does the Murphy’s Soap in bullet lube help with the fouling?

Yes, @sharps4590 I know this ain’t rocket science but sometimes I wonder who comes up with all this stuff.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:33 AM
    flintlock, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Use whatever floats your boat. I use hot water and Dawn dish soap but the others work. The main thing is don't use anything designed for smokeless other than Ballistol.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

4. soonerfan66

soonerfan66 Well-Known Member

1000s of ways and probably none of them wrong . Hot water was the 1st cleaner used just be sure to use a oil after dry . I have tried most of them and have a assorted cleaners on my shelf . I personely like best for my rifles is lots of hot soapy water down the barrel and wipes then Ballistol everything . For my revolvers 3-4 minutes in ultra sonic cleaner with degreaser or Dawn then wipes and Ballistol .

5. WillieB

I assume you remove the grips before going into the ultrasonic cleaner? I can’t imagine any of these processes are good for wood grips.

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Hot soapy water. Then the other thing you could try is soapy water that's hot or water that's been heated with soap added to it.

None of this is new. The hydrogen peoxide/Murphys Oil Soap/alcohol concoction made its round in the 70's...as has Windex/Murphy's Oil Soap/alcohol.....just come up with any combination of ingredients that includes either Ballistol, Murphy's Oil Soap, alcohol, Windex, hydrogen peroxide, RV Anti-Freeze, De-natured alcohol and probably a dozen or two I've forgotten and it's been tried and recommended as the best ever....except for stale dinosaur pee from a pregnant Stegosaurus that is nursing twins and was only feeding on banana tree leaves. That really is the best and I recommend buying all you can when you see it on your dealers shelves.

Murphy's Oil Soap has been a standard ingredient of bullet and patch lubes since the 60's. It makes some guys feel better...I guess because of the "soap" part but really adds nothing....except in their heads. Think a little bit...was alllllll that stuff available in the 1800's and earlier? You do realize that Schuetzen, chunk guns and those wonderful Brockaway, Billinghurst, Lewis muzzleloading 40 rod rifles all set records that stood into the 60's and 70's...IN SMOKELESS POWDER CIRCLES, that were fired with beeswax and the really unobtanium sperm whale oil, later replaced with one of the natural oils I mentioned?

One question a fella can always ask himself is, "did Harry Pope have this?"

It's all liquid and dissolves the salts left behind by black powder. Heat helps, water adds nothing harmful and soap helps hold the salts and solids in suspension as they're flushed from the bore. If you want to put something that oxidizes steel as fast as hydrogen peroxide does in your rifle barrel, be my guest.

I could really learn to hate U-Toob and DO hate goober simply because most of the time about half of the knowledge available is presented and it's only about half true...like hydrogen peroxide. I never used it and the guys I know who tried it got shed of it quick.

flintlock, Hawg, ms6852 and 6 others like this.
  7. soonerfan66

soonerfan66 Well-Known Member

No don't put grips in ultra sonic cleaner . Also each their own on this part I don't break down the action completely everytime after shooting . Just take barrel and nipples off and drop them and cylinder in . I may break down the action after 6-10x shootings . Depends how much was shot . I use to at first but it seems to stays pretty sealed up from the black powder and I was just wiping still clean parts . You will get a feel for it after a while . I live in country and may go out and just shoot 1-2 cylinders or be out there a few hours . If just a quick trip out then a squirt of Dawn will do , if a long day then I use a bit of degreaser with hot water . Remember if using the degreaser will need to oil EVERYTHING good or will get surface rust in tight corners .

Hawg, BlackEagle and WillieB like this.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

After a trip to the range, I clean the gun. This is what I do.
    1. Remove grips.
    2. Remove screw that holds the reloading plunger and remove reloading plunger from the gun. (I probably have the term wrong. That reloading plunger is the lever and piece that pushes the ball down into the cylinder).
    3. Remove the stem that holds the cylinder in place. Unless you took it apart and added a drop of oil between cylinders while in the field, this will be very stiff, hard to take out.
    4. Remove the cylinder.
    5. Remove the nipples. I have a small parts container to put these bits in.
    6. Run a sink or dishpan of hot water and add some dishwashing soap and take the gun, cylinder, and all the parts except the grips and screws into this hot soapy water.
    7. Scrub the inside of the barrel with a bronze or brass brush, followed by cotton patches.
    8. Use a .22 brush to clean the place where the cylinder stem goes in the gun.
    8. Scrub all exterior surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad. Rinse with hot water and lay on a baking tray.
    9. Scrub the cylinder chambers with the bronze or brass brush, followed by a swab. ( use a torn-up tee shirt)
    10. Scrub the outside of the cylinder with the Scotchbrite pad, including the recesses for the nipples. Rinse with hot water and place on the baking tray.
    11. Scrub the nipples with the Scotchbrite pad and the other small parts, rinse with water, and place on the baking tray. I use another small parts tray for these.
    12. Turn the oven on at its lowest temperature and put the gun and its parts in the oven for 30 minutes or so...however long it takes to dry it off.
    13. Take it out of the oven, Oil it with a light coat of vegetable (cooking) oil. I use a .410 shotgun swab for the barrel, cylinder chambers, and the outside surfaces of the gun and all the small parts.
    14. Reassemble the gun.

I received this link in an email from Hodgdon today:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel..._medium=email&utm_campaign=idearanch-hgd-2020
    CLEANING A MUZZLELOADER
    The instructions are for a rifle, but the same principle applies to revolvers. This is clean-up after using 777 powder.

gvw3, ms6852 and WillieB like this.
  9. howlnmad

Just take the grips off and take it in the shower with you.

soonerfan66, Hawg and BlackEagle like this.
  10. WillieB

That’s a little more intimate than I like to get with my guns.

:lol:

Bigdog357, soonerfan66, Hawg and 2 others like this.
  11. howlnmad

I have 1 BP rifle, it's a modrrn inline. At the end of every hunting season, I remove the stock, scope and mounts, trigger, bolt and breech plug. Then I take it in the shower with me and a cleaning rod with a bore mop.

BlackEagle and WillieB like this.
  12. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I follow a similar cleaning routine to BlackEagle except I use an old toothbrush instead of scotch brite to scrub off the outside surfaces. I cleaned it in the kitchen sink once, and got told by the wife to get that stinking thing out of her kitchen. :yikes: Actually I've cleaned my pistols in the sink more than once, but Kathy wasn't home at the time.:rolleyes:

13. BuckskinMtnMan

BuckskinMtnMan Member

When cleaning Goex, KIK, Swiss, Pyrodex, Triple7, American Pioneer, Alliant Black MZ always start with a bucket of HOT soapy water to help break up stubborn fouling and melt/remove patch/conical lube from the barrels rifling.

Soak breech end of barrel in the hot soapy water (Dawn or Murphy oil soap - Pinesol) and allow it to sit for a few minutes.

Use an old tooth brush to scrub fouling from nipple area and other areas where powder residue is present.
    Remove nipple from barrel and with the correct cleaning jag, attach it to your cleaning rod and with the correct diameter cleaning patch, pump the hot soapy water up and down the bore until your patches start to show up cleaner.

3 to 4 patchs is normally a good start before its time to dump the dirty water out.
    Now that you've used the hot soapy water, wash your bucket out and re-fill it with baby bath temp' warm water. No soap this time!

Flush your bore out once more with the cleaner water. Cleaning with one bucket of dirty black powder fouled water only does one thing, it flushes the bore with corrosive water from the salts left behind in the fouling. This is why I HIGHLY recommend that the black powder shooter flush TWICE!

Once your bore is fully clean from your personal inspection, run a couple dry patches down the bore, blow into the muzzle to help blow out any water remaining in the Drum/Bolster ( Thing that the nipple screws into).
    Next, block the Bolster/Drum area with your finger and carefully pour Aprox. 1 to 2 table spoons worth of 91% ( Or better!) Isopropyl Alcohol down the bore and swish it around in the bolster/drum. Doing this step ensures that ALL moisture inside of that area has been removed and will not cause rust issues.

What ever metal part that gets washed with water SHOULD get washed down with the 91% + Isopropyl alchol or denatured alcohol,to remove ALL traces of water, before being treated with the Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.

Run an alcohol patch or 2 down the bore and dry the bore.

WillieB and pdkfishing like this.
  14. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another vote for hot soapy water. My BP rifles are percussion Hawkens. I remove the nipple, use a tightly fitted patch on a cleaning rod and pump the hot soapy water up and down the bore until it starts to look clear. Then I flush twice with boiling water, dry and (while the barrel is still hot) run a couple of patches with one of the non-petroleum lubes down the bore. Toothbrush, hot soapy water and a dab of non-petroleum lube for the nipple, bolster, etc. :twocents:

Edit: Can't resist.

Should you add the soap before or after you heat the water? :D :stir:

15. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

In order to protect his privacy, I won't mention names, but we do have an individual in this forum that loves using a dishwasher.

gvw3, BlackEagle, soonerfan66 and 4 others like this.