Cleaning kits

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Ernie1, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Ernie1

Ernie1 New Member

This is mainly a "just out of curiosity" questions. Do you folks use the universal type cleaning kits or do you use caliber specific cleaning kits and what brand? I personally have used the universal type kits in the past, just the standard kits like you find at wal mart, because the gun shops here don't carry a bunch in the way of maintenance kits or items. But I recently used a buddies cleaning kit that was specifically for .45 and it seemed to me that things like the jags, rods and tips fit the barrel better than the implements in my universal kit. The implements in the universal kits seem to fit loose to me. Thanks.

2. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

Boresnakes. They are rod, brush, and patches all in one. Not to mention there is no chance of damaging the crown or lands and grooves. I have about 15 of them ranging from .17 to 50 cal and .410 to 12 ga.

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Boresnakes are good. I have a universal kit that I have added jags and other more specific items to. I have also used G 96 triple action gun treatment and it is a dream. It is all in one so I don't have to keep up with multiple solvents, etc.

Old Guy

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have pretty much quit using "cleaning kits" since I discovered the bore snakes. I still have a wooden ammo crate that I call my cleaning kit (it is full of bore snakes, oil and brushes)

5. Ernie1

Ernie1 New Member

Thanks for the info folks. I believe i will go pick some up and give them a try.

6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate...
    I am one of those that haven't jumped on the bore-snake bandwagon yet. I know guys that use em and like em but I still stick with my rods.
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned...but the only pull-through I have is a generic mop-style that I carry in my pocket while hunting just in case I stuff the muzzle into the mud or snow.

I do use caliber-specific jags in addition to the universal "loop" patch holders though. I use the loops to swab on solvent/oil and the jags to do the scrubbing.