Cleaning out Cosmoline

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 12:17:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Cleaning out Cosmoline
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just picked up a Romanian Training Rifle tonight at Gander Mountain and it had some of what I have been told is cosmoline in it.

What can I use to get that crap outta there. I wiped some off with a paper towel, but didn't get it all. I've tried Brake cleaner, it didn't work.
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/21/03 12:26:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cleaning out Cosmoline
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the adventuresome, there's always gasoline.

Any petroleum based solvent should work. Standard bore cleaner works, as well as the Birchwood Casey cleaner/degreaser.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/21/03 6:27:44 am)
    There are a lot of different ways to get the cosmoline out, but the best method still is a lot of elbow grease! I am suprised the brake cleaner did not help. As Kdub said, any petroleum based solvent - I have even gone as far as disassembling items and soaking the metal parts in a bucket of kerosene or diesel fuel.

I have even heard of folks going down to the local coin-op car wash, laying the rifles out in the back of their pickem up truck, and blasting the heck out of them with the hot spray ---

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 7:34:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del kerosene
    I use kerosene and a stiff paint brush. Benny

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 8:13:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: kerosene
    The brake cleaner will work, but you might have to use a toothbrush and q-tips to get in the tight spots, and always wipe the parts off with paper towels. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 cans of the stuff to clean one rifle, depending on how much there is.

On the dirtier/cruddier guns like Turk Mausers, I wipe the whole thing off with paper towels soaked in mineral spirits. That gets off the big globs of cosmoline that have dirt and sand caked in them. Then I completely disassemble it and hose it all out with brake parts cleaner.

You can also put the parts in the oven, set to about 175 degrees, and let the heat melt it out of the tight spots. Then let it cool and take it outside and hose it with brake parts cleaner. The trick is to use the brake parts cleaner liberally. And it helps if it's warm outside. The brake cleaner will make the metal cold as it evaporates, which will re-solidify the cosmoline. You need to keep the cosmoline in a semi-liquid form so it will run off with the cleaner.

As for the stock, baking it in the oven at 175 degrees is the best way to make it seep out of the pores of the wood. Just take it out every 5 or 10 minutes and wipe off. Then, when it's all out of the wood, wipe the whole stock with mineral spirits.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

armedandsafe
    (1/21/03 3:34:21 pm)
    Have any of ever tried Gunk Engine Degreaser?

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 3:39:33 pm)
    I haven't tried it on a firearm.... if memory serves, doesn't that have to be removed with water?

armedandsafe
    (1/21/03 3:42:36 pm)
    That's what they recommend in the instructions, but I would think you could use any petroleum based liquid to wash it off. Dunno, just curious, as I have that job to do this summer.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 5:09:35 pm)
    Always used kerosene myself. Mainly Coleman Lantern fuel....usually have a gallon or two in the garage and plenty of elbow grease.

Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

jcjordan
    (1/21/03 6:24:00 pm)
    I use Simple Green & warm water after wiping most of what I can off of it & putting a dry patch through the bore. On the stock I use Lemon Oil also after wiping off as much as possible.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 6:49:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del New One...
    Never tried that one before...! Thanks for the tip...and Welcome to you also jcjordan...settle right in and post/reply...wherever makes ya comfortable...

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 7:09:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New One...
    Thanks for all the tips guys.

Don't know wether mom would approve of baking gun parts, it's worth a shot though. I'll have to try some more brake cleaner. Dad gets it free at work, so being liberal with it isn't a problem
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/22/03 8:25:25 am)
    Baking gun parts always sounds bad to women....

When baking stocks, I remove the top rack in the oven, and move the bottom rack as low as it will go. Then I rip a long piece of aluminum foil and very loosely wrap it around the stock, leaving the top open. Most stocks are too long to fit in my oven, so I have to leave the door semi-open with one end of the stock sticking out the door. But any cosmoline that oozes out of the wood and drips/runs off will be collected in the aluminum foil. When I take it out every couple of minutes, I not only wipe the stock but wipe the excess cosmoline out of the foil too. I haven't ever dripped any inside the oven.

Celtic Dirk
    (1/29/03 5:21:58 pm)
    Have you tried ED's Red? Equal parts kerosene, ATF, mineral spirits and acetone. Sure cleaned up my jungle carbine plus it really cleaned up the bore. Best stuff I've ever seen. Hell, I would drink it if I could.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/29/03 8:10:14 pm)
    Welcome aboard Mr. Dirk. Thanks for posting...we all have value in this forum.

Back to the cosmoline...I favor WD-40 or carb cleaner. The sprayer gets it out of the cracks better. Be prepared to use the whole can and make sure you have proper ventilation.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/03 8:16:06 am)
    And make sure you wear eye protection when using carb cleaner! I learned that lesson the hard way. If you spray it into the chamber area and it sprays back at you, it will burn like hell in your eyes.