The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but how should I dispose of small amounts of smokeless powder when reloading?

I get 1-2 tiny grains that don’t make it into the casing and and by the end of the session, I’ll have 100-150 tiny grains of smokeless powder in my workspace.
I do t want to collect and reused because it has dust and other contaminates mixed in.

How should I safely dispose of this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
38,451 Posts
I have a dedicated building for reloading so if I spill a little powder on the bench, I just rake it off onto the floor. Every month or two, I sweep it up with the rest of the "trash" and if no "big stuff", I throw it out in the yard. If there is "big stuff", I pick it out and sweep the rest of it out in the yard. The gunpowder makes good fertilizer.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have a dedicated building for reloading so if I spill a little powder on the bench, I just rake it off onto the floor. Every month or two, I sweep it up with the rest of the "trash" and if no "big stuff", I throw it out in the yard. If there is "big stuff", I pick it out and sweep the rest of it out in the yard. The gunpowder makes good fertilizer.
i wish i had a dedicated building, currently im building an 8x8 "hobby" room in the back corner of my garage which i intend on using as my reloading room, after one of our neighbors houses blew up 2 months ago ,gas leak, my wife wont let me keep 10,000 primers and 28lbs of powder in the house. powder is in my office primers are in my bedroom, in my hunting trunk.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My primers are in ammo cans in that building. There is no way that I am going to leave my powder out in a place that does not have constant climate control. It is in one of the closets in my bedroom.
Oh! I have No intention of leaving much $$ in pew pew powder out in my garage, but what the wife dont know wont hurt me...lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
Why do folks worry about such things? Be creative.
Throw it away.
Burn it.
Toss it on your lawn as fertilizer.
Flush it.
Personally, when I get a kernel or two on the press, I wet a finger very slightly, touch the kernels and flick them into the powder measure hopper or the powder can. Worked for almost 50 years

·
Super Moderator
38,451 Posts
There was this one time, way back when I loaded in a vacant bedroom in the house, and I smoked at the time. I brought the ashtray from beside my bed into the reloading room as I did every time. Sometime during my reloading session, I must have either dumped or swept up some spilled powder into the ashtray.

Every night before going to sleep, I lay in bed and smoked the last cigarette of the day. On that particular night I lay there smoking and when I was finished, I snuffed out the butt in the ashtray. There was a flash of light and a puff of smoke and a tremendous pain in my left hand. I do not know how much powder was in that ashtray but I learned to be very careful with smoking and gunpowder that evening.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I collect it in a 100 rd plastic .22 container and when there is enough I put a string of it on a chunk of 2x4 and light it. It burns real slow! (compared to my initial expectation of a faster burn) (H335)
I also read that modern smokeless powder contains some nasty stuff so it is recommended to not put in the yard as fertilizer. (nitroglycerin and diphenylamine it says, also not water soluable)
The same piece also said that old time black powder is fine to put on the lawn.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm a practical, K.I.S.S. kinda guy and try not to sweat the small stuff (or overthink a simple process). I had to stop and think about what I do with a 1/4 grain or less of powder spilled on my bench. I reload in a stick built shed/shop with plywood floors and with a few flakes here and there, I'll just brush it off the bench and onto the floor. About once a week I get my leaf blower out and clean my shop floor and "dust" the shelves. If there is a spill, like if I knock over or drop a charged case on my bench, I'll sweep it up and dump it back into the jug. There's not enough (if any) contaminates or dust on my bench to consider, nuttin' to worry about...

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
There was this one time, way back when I loaded in a vacant bedroom in the house, and I smoked at the time. I brought the ashtray from beside my bed into the reloading room as I did every time. Sometime during my reloading session, I must have either dumped or swept up some spilled powder into the ashtray.

Every night before going to sleep, I lay in bed and smoked the last cigarette of the day. On that particular night I lay there smoking and when I was finished, I snuffed out the butt in the ashtray. There was a flash of light and a puff of smoke and a tremendous pain in my left hand. I do not know how much powder was in that ashtray but I learned to be very careful with smoking and gunpowder that evening.
I did that once, only it was black powder while loading in the garage. I'd spilled about 50 grains, cleaned off the bench into a cold ash tray. Some time later I finished, put everything away - forgot about the BP in the ash tray and lit a smoke. Flicked a hot ash and WHOOOOF!!! Burned my right hand so badly had to go to the ER. Doc asked what happened. I lied like a dog and said I was welding. Told my friends at work the same story.

You don't need long ears to be a donkey. I'm living proof.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,856 Posts
Like others, I just sweep it into a dustpan and toss it in the yard.

·
Premium Member
11,175 Posts
Out the back door into one of Momma's flower beds or sucked up with the central vac or the little upright vac I keep for my shop.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,856 Posts
sucked up with the central vac or the little upright vac I keep for my shop.
I've always avoided vacuum cleaners after my mentor said a stray spark in the vacuum cleaner could make life interesting.:eek:

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Premium Member
11,175 Posts
I've always avoided vacuum cleaners after my mentor said a stray spark in the vacuum cleaner could make life interesting.:eek:
I doubt it, seein' as how the motors don't come into contact with what's picked up. All it passes through is a fan. Really, really old vacs, maybe but I doubt even them. No electric motor would last very long if all that dirt passed through it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts