what's the details on qualifying?

C&R help any?

·
Garandaholic
9,513 Posts
i've never messed with the CMP

what's the details on qualifying?

C&R help any?
I have 2 pending orders with the CMP as I write.
You will need:

A birth certificate.
Membership in a club affiliated with the CMP. I joined The M1Garand collectors club, via mail for $14 a year.
Shooting proficiency. Long list here. Probably the easiest is having a concealed weapon permit. You can participate in CMP affiliated shooting events. If the gun club you join is near you, you may be able to get certified there. Being an NRA course instructor works. The list is on the site.

You have to have your order form notarized as well.

Currently the wait time on rifles is about 75-90 days

CR is no help

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
The link cpttango30 posted shows that a CRFFL is proof of "firearms activity" in place of shooting proficiency. So you'd just have to be a US citizen and a member of an affiliated club.

Seems like it would help for some people.

·
Garandaholic
9,513 Posts
The link cpttango30 posted shows that a CRFFL is proof of "firearms activity" in place of shooting proficiency. So you'd just have to be a US citizen and a member of an affiliated club.

Seems like it would help for some people.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.

That's pasted from the list. Email customer service, I do not believe a C&R required any live fire training.
A really great way to get info on not only the ordering process, but on the Garands themselves is to check out the official CMP forum board.
Beware, Garanditis is easy to catch. It's hard to own just one. You've been warned :)

My latest order should be hitting the estore within a week.
A service grade HRA.....can't wait!

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got a cwp as well.. and that included a live fire test.. etc.

now just got to find a club...

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the link, printed the pdf application :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the way I did it years ago was 1) join your state association (rifle and pistol), and 2)shoot in at least one registered NRA match.

looks like a few changes but roughly the same process?

it was the DCM then also, miss those days... can't wait to get back into service rifle competition, it's the most fun you can have with your pants on...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Springfield M1 Garand that I obtained from the DCM in the early 1990's. I have written to the CMP to find out if the government has me in their records as having purchased the gun. No reply. Can anyone tell me if I am, in fact, registered?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts