Cofused about black powder and pyrodex

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by J. J. stephens, Jan 13, 2018.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That's not what he said, he said that it is either ball-shaped, disc shaped, or extruded into little cylindrical shapes that is not safe.

2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Your Pyrodex will work just fine. The general rule is FF or Pyrodex RS for 50 caliber and up and FFF or Pyrodex P for anything smaller but I use FF and RS in .36 and .44 caliber revolvers and I know of people that use FFF or Pyrodex P in .58 caliber rifles. The FFF or P just gives a little more velocity is all.

joe45c likes this.

3. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Pyrodex is a safe substitute for black powder. Yes, it is safe to use.
    Follow the same procedures and cautions you might use for real black powder, and it will work just fine.

Most gun guys are familiar with "proof marks", but few know what they really mean. Traditionally to "proof" a gun, a load three times the recommended amount of powder is fired. If the gun survives this, then that is "proof" that it is safe for the recommended load.
    It is very unlikely that you will over load that black powder gun as long as you stick with either true black powder, or Pyrodex.
    The two will work the same.

joe45c likes this.
  4. J. J. stephens

J. J. stephens Member

Thanks Kvasir I think this convinces me that I can safely use pyrodex. Can you give me a source for V rear sights and blade front sights for a Traditions Sporter rifle I cant find anything on a parts source for a sporter. A Tracker looks just like it can't but I don't know if the parts are interchangeable. Amason Has some fiber optics that will work but I don't wont fiber optics

Kvasir likes this.
  5. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Dixiegunworks.com may have original parts.

BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

What constitutes a proof load depends on the country in which it was proofed and the cartridge it is proofed for. Given the old stuff I fool with I have to be familiar with their meaning. Gerhard Wirnsberger's book, "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" is still an excellent source for sporting rifle and gun proofs from Europe.

J.J., Track of the Wolf or Pecatonica River might have the sights you're looking for. If it's a standard 3/8 dovetail about any sight made in the US should work.

joe45c and Kvasir like this.
  7. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Sharps, Traditions uses a metric dovetail on many of their rifles, standard 3/8 inch sight blanks are too big to fit. The outfits you mentioned should have replacements available and most gun shops can order them in if they don't have them.

joe45c likes this.
  8. sharps4590

If the dovetails are too small that's a good thing!! A 3 sided file would cure that pretty quick!

joe45c and Kvasir like this.
  9. Grizzley1

As long as one side of the file is ground safe. ;)

joe45c likes this.
  10. sharps4590

As usual, you're exactly right.....:p

11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Again, you are getting yourself 'off into the weeds'. You are good-to-go with Pyrodex. What it means about *only using black powder* is only to use BLACK POWDER (or it's SUBSTITUTES). Modern smokeless powder is a NO-NO. Modern smokeless cartridge reloading powder will introduce both you and your rifle to a fellow by the name of Saint Peter who stands by the Pearly Gates if you decide to stuff it in your barrel and touch it off.

Pyrodex is NOT a modern smokeless powder. It is a modern substitute FOR black powder. Don't concern yourself with all of the chemicals and what-nots - just use either Pyrodex OR black powder. Keep it simple.

As far as the sights, I assume both your rear and front sights are meant to be 3/8" dove-tail. If it were me - I'd go to (or call) and outfit like Brownell's and talk to someone there at Customer Service and order a buckhorn rear sight and a plain standard front sight to match.

Kvasir and joe45c like this.
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So if I get that .45-70 I should be able to use my pyrodex P in it and wouldnl't need to get RS?

What's 777 good for? I have two tubs of pyrodex p, and one of 777. I'm learning lots on this thread and the other one.

joe45c likes this.
  13. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

You can use the P for the 45-70. I've never used T7, the price is enough to throw me off. I can buy Swiss and have it shipped cheaper that I can buy T7 locally. I know to keep the pressure the same as bp it has to be reduced by 15%.

14. Grizzley1

BE, I've used 777 in several of my muzzle loaders with good results and far less fowling than black or Pyrodex, can't speak to how it would or wouldn't work in a 45-70, so far the only thing that's ever been burned in mine is 2f black.

15. J. J. stephens

J. J. stephens Member

Gentlemen,The pyrodex vs Black powder issue has been resolved thanks to all wh o particaped. The sights are for a traditions sporter.which has a round barrel with sights screwed on.I cannot find any thing, anywhere on the sporter, The gun was given to me by a friend and I did not get anything but the ramrod. Traditions doesn't have anything on the www that I can find. they have lots of info. about their Tracker which look exactly like the Sporter, except Barrell length. Amazon has a fiber optic set listed for the Tracker but I am not sure they would fit and
    I do not want fiber optics if I can find iron sights. I'm 84 and kinda set in my wants. Will one of you gentlemen please see if you can find any thing on a Traditions Sporter 209. called Traditions customer service and they woud not tell me anything because I did not buy the gun from a dealer/

BlackEagle and Kvasir like this.