The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a fan of Cold Steel knives and think that for a production company they have a good product for the money. Just found out that GSM outdoors is or has acquired this company.

I was thinking of getting a couple of their Tanto San Mai fixed blades before this company may change production methods and materials to have a better profit. Was wondering if anyone here has one of these specific Tanto master blades and what there thoughts are on them.

Reactions: BlueDragonLair

·
No Power Options
13,342 Posts
I have two, bought decades back. Never out of the box. Worth big money now. Have been using Cold Steel knives for over 3 decades, never an issue-ever. Did manage to break a 3" folders lock after a decade of use, sent it back, received a new one no charge.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I acquired my Cold Steel knives years ago. (80's/90's) They are all very heavily built. 1/16 thick blade on the small folder and 3/16 on the large folder and the Magnum Tanto ll San MAi. Not sure about the butterfly's as I gave them to my youngest son a few years ago. Both folders lock up tight and there is no slop between blade and handle. The San MAi has a blade length of just over 7-1/4 inches, weighs 11-1/8 ounces, and looks indestructible
knives 004.JPG

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Sorry about the double set of pictures.....I don't know to get rid of the second set.

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think I will go over to knife depot or blade hq and but all 3 sizes. I’ve got so many knives, and the same holds true for guns.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I don't think Cold Steel actually made/make anything. All their knives are contracted.
I doubt much will change.

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct. In the beginning these knives were made in Japan and now are made in Taiwan.

·
Super Moderator
40,005 Posts
Sorry about the double set of pictures.....I don't know to get rid of the second set.
I got rid of it for you! You should be able to edit your post and just delete the extra one. For future reference: when you put a picture in a post, do not go below and select "Full Size" that will throw a double every time!

That little folding tanto in the lower right of your picture, I have one that looks exactly like it except it is only about 2 inches when opened.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I got rid of it for you! You should be able to edit your post and just delete the extra one. For future reference: when you put a picture in a post, do not go below and select "Full Size" that will throw a double every time!

Thank you

That little folding tanto in the lower right of your picture, I have one that looks exactly like it except it is only about 2 inches when opened.
My small folder has a 2-1/2 inch blade and is 6 inches overall.
All have Japan stamped on the blade next to the handle.

X

1 - 10 of 10 Posts