The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Power Options
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would give a Cold Steel update.
Called yesterday 01/06/21.
Going to return a small folder that finally broke the lock on it. Mind you this folder was bought in late 90`s/early 2000.
I hate to give it up because it has the 3 screw metal pocket clip, my favorite design.
Call to them as follows:
We do not repair knives at this time, check back in 45 days.
We do not have old replacement stock-because we could not afford that purchase.
Can I send knife in for just replacement (even though it won`t be what I like)
Answer: ( "Yes you can return knife, pick a model close to yours, call us back and we`ll give you an RA number so you can send yours back")
Sounds good right? (Loose original)
Kicker, when you pick your replacement there will be a 50% of retail cost to you for replacement. Remember Lifetime Warranty of Cold Steel???
Well they didn`t purchase that either. So my $100 folder will now cost me $50 plus shipping.
BTW, they offer no repairs, re-sharpening at least for 45 days like that`s going to happen. WONDERFUL.
EXCELLENT NEW OWNERS?????? GHEESH!!!

Get originals while you can is my opinion and take good care of them.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
"New" owners always void
all original warranties............ bad for business. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
315 Posts
Keep in mind that Victornox (I known spelled wrong) swiss army knives also has same policy. I had a blade brake and called them and got same response. "Pick knife 50% off original price"

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
Good to know. Cold Steel is out. My daily knife is a Victorinox Tinker and have yet to have one break. I did have a Benchmade break and while my knife was out of production they did replace it with one of equal value at no cost to me.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've had a couple of Cold Steel knives. Still have one of their old short bolo machetes I love for yard work. I lost a Kershaw Snap-On Blackout in 2001. It laid in the leaves, first in my garage and then on the ground after it came down for years. I found it in 2016. The scales were warped, the lock and spring action had rusted through but the blade had only some tarnish and maybe light rust with no pitting. I first tried to find one with a broken blade on ebay to swap out my blade with. Never could come up with one so I finally sent a letter explaining how i had always liked that blade and how well it sharpened up for me. I asked that since it was a commemorative if they could save it for me. They replaced everything on the knife and buffed the blade without loosing most of the markings and sent it back to me no charge. I was expecting them to charge me because of abuse and neglect but I guess sometimes they go out of their way at times. Maybe it was how I phrased things, maybe they were having a good day, but they sure made my day.

Cold Steel has always been sort of weird. I swapped another knife for an old V Steel? Recon years ago and then after using it hunting for years, swapped it for a recurve bow. The machete still puts a smile on my face out in the yard or when clearing out brush at a bow shoot or a tree stand along with a longer 22" machete for the stuff with stickers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, business's always use change of ownership or management as a reason for poor customer service and it is always unacceptable

·
No Power Options
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over 3 decades of dealing with Cold Steel I have never had an issue. Broke medium folder-returned, replaced. Broke fixed blade although not by me-snapped one inch of tip off prying something to this day I don`t know what. Even though "abuse" not covered, again replaced no hassle and got the newer version of blade.
Bill, well aware of your skill. Doubt this would be in your lane since this knife has Cold Steel specific fasteners and who knows about the lock design. Fasteners biggest concern. Thank for the offer.
Will upgrade and take the 50% rebate if you can call it that.
Albeit I do have a Stockman that my have your name on it. Far from the excellent work you did on my little KaBar stockman it just needs a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Seems you got your moneys worth already ,50 percent off a new model seems like a heck of a deal to me .
The point is they came with a LIFE TIME WARRANTY............ must have been the life of the original owners!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
After decades of buying and using Cold Steel products, not too happy with the new "Cold Steel", so called. They doubled their prices and lowered customer service. Wouldnt be surprised to hear they are a front for the Red Chinese. Oh well, lets see how it shakes out.

·
GUNZILLA
7,779 Posts
Lifetime warranties mean Diddley squat to. It means that the store or company hope that you die before they honor the warranty and if the store or company goes out of business so does your warranty. Nowadays if there is a merger or a buyout warranties or promises made by the previous businesses are not honored.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts